+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

I'm Damian.

Smile Hello

Hi Folks

Damian here - greetings from Dublin.

Been a lurker for a while now - thought it was time to introduce myself...

I've been a music collector (LP's primarily but plenty of cd's also) since I was 13 - so that makes approx 25 years of hoarding.

In that time I never really put any thought into playback - I've been using the same modestly priced kit for the past 15 years (NAD 520 CD player,Kenwoood 3020SE amp with built in phono stage, Project deck). With the arrival of baby number 3, I've decided that as I am now spending so much time (evenings anyway) tied to the house - I may as well really enjoy myself and my music collection - hence over past few months I have been on the upgrade path - this is where the true value of forums such as this comes in -

Prior to discovering the audio forums such as AOS, I was reliant on What HiFi 5 star reviewed product - Anyway having auditioned some highly recommended stuff (won't mention names - dont want to upset anybody) I found myself being repeatedly disappointed.

From this forum and others I have read the opinions and experiences of the owners of kit that hitherto I never would have considered and have had my horizons broadened -e.g my new (new to me) amp - an AVI Lab series integrated - which I am totally delighted with, but only ever heard about on various audio forums.

System presently consists of AVI Lab Series integrated amp, Rega Apollo CD player (What HiFi suggestion that I agree with), project SE phonostage, Project Xpression TT, Goldring Lenco 75 - Thanks for the heads up AOS!, Soon to arrive a certain Denon DD TT well known to this forum.

Advice now sought on power leads, interconnects, headphones, headphone amp and vintage tuner(s) ( 70's Luxman style - )

Sincerely

Damian (dgdgdgdgdg)

PS - Automation Engineer for my sins.

I'm InSpace.

Hi Damian,

Welcome to AoS.

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgdgdgdg View Post
    With the arrival of baby number 3, I've decided that as I am now spending so much time (evenings anyway) tied to the house - I may as well really enjoy myself and my music collection
    What a fine sentiment indeed!

Get stuck in and enjoy.

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Damian.

Thanks Mike

PS - I've been following the Mazzy Star LP myself - £131-00 is relatively cheap - Once saw it on ebay with a BIN for £400-00 from a Greek seller and it sold!!

DG

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgdgdgdg View Post
    Hi Folks

Damian here - greetings from Dublin.

Been a lurker for a while now - thought it was time to introduce myself...

I've been a music collector (LP's primarily but plenty of cd's also) since I was 13 - so that makes approx 25 years of hoarding.

In that time I never really put any thought into playback - I've been using the same modestly priced kit for the past 15 years (NAD 520 CD player,Kenwoood 3020SE amp with built in phono stage, Project deck). With the arrival of baby number 3, I've decided that as I am now spending so much time (evenings anyway) tied to the house - I may as well really enjoy myself and my music collection - hence over past few months I have been on the upgrade path - this is where the true value of forums such as this comes in -

Prior to discovering the audio forums such as AOS, I was reliant on What HiFi 5 star reviewed product - Anyway having auditioned some highly recommended stuff (won't mention names - dont want to upset anybody) I found myself being repeatedly disappointed.

From this forum and others I have read the opinions and experiences of the owners of kit that hitherto I never would have considered and have had my horizons broadened -e.g my new (new to me) amp - an AVI Lab series integrated - which I am totally delighted with, but only ever heard about on various audio forums.

System presently consists of AVI Lab Series integrated amp, Rega Apollo CD player (What HiFi suggestion that I agree with), project SE phonostage, Project Xpression TT, Goldring Lenco 75 - Thanks for the heads up AOS!, Soon to arrive a certain Denon DD TT well known to this forum.

Advice now sought on power leads, interconnects, headphones, headphone amp and vintage tuner(s) ( 70's Luxman style - )

Sincerely

Damian (dgdgdgdgdg)

PS - Automation Engineer for my sins.
    Hi There Welcome to AOS.

Dublin...........nice but now way to dear. The Euro is killing everything (and your shop keepers merchants are ripping you guys off). Hence the un-patriotic shopping across the boarder. Pity there is no where decent to buy audio in the North not now anyway.

Vintage tuners easy look at Leak Trough-Line 2 and an external stereo decoder....about the best sound you can get for the least amount of money. Getting a good early 70's (apparently when they sounded best) Luxman will require a lot of patience. Meridian 104 is way up there at the top of the best sound quality stakes, but is even more hair shirt than a Leak.

Jap super tuners are a bit of a mystery to me(at least at the moment). Accuphase 101 or 109 are up near the top too....also rare on flee-bay.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

Hi Damien, and welcome!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

welcome aboard Damian - I think you'll fit right in - I've been made very welcome, so there's hope for anyone (except Spambots - and you seem far nicer than any of those I've met thus far!) Enjoy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm wal.

Hi Damian,
    Agree with the sentiments about the Apollo. Absolute bloody bargain for the money Rega are asking!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I forgot to say - I personally would never lambast anything just because it had a 5 star review by anyone - what hi fi, or a member of the forum - there are in my humble opinion only two things that should be the ultimate deciding factor on whether you like something - most people have one stuck on each side of their head! 5 stars or no stars, only you can decide what you are happy with
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread