+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Hypothetical) Upgrade suggestions requested

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You don't need silver US made foo wires and you won't need XLR-phono wires either 'cos the LK1 is hitting ebay pronto innit? Hopefully with the grainy old LK100..

There's not much wrong with the 840A Cambridge, apart from the low price and the name on the front. If Krell made it, it would be £3K+. if Levinson made it, it would have a fancier box and sell for £5K+ (I doubt their integrateds currently are as good as the 840A).

Seriously, get out of the top end and get real. Much top end gear is made in the handfuls and commands huge profits/mark-ups as they sell in tiny quantities. Expensive wires are most often expensive because the dealers' profit is more than half the retail price a lot of the time.... A mark grant cable "trading" at £20 would retail for nigh on £60..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Thanks Dave

You've certainly convinced me to check out the Cambridge. I've swapped around a lot of cables and interconnects over the years and my opinion is that it's Horses for Courses (assuming the basics are right of course - I've never heard bell-wire sound better than a 79 strand for example).

Anyway - I am going to see if I can book a couple days of work and go and try and cut a deal with Richers for a home trial... As good as a Krell? - you know I so want to believe that! If it cuts the mustard I owe you (and Chris) a pint!

All the best

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Anyway - I am going to see if I can book a couple days of work and go and try and cut a deal with Richers for a home trial... As good as a Krell? - you know I so want to believe that! If it cuts the mustard I owe you (and Chris) a pint!
    There is also the option of trying out a TC-7520SE which some say is hard to distinguish from a Naim £5K or more CDP.
    So you have the choice of a £800 item that is similar to £3K , or a £230 item that is similar to £5K....

I'm David.

You should work for a tabloid paper stan hear a rumour/comment that might be beneficial to your sales ... Ad a but of spin, and put it out there! Hehe I love it!
    Would you like me to see if I can get a review out of these guys that I will be putting the caiman up against some high end naim and linn sources with! I dunno if they will but it might be quite interesting hearing what they have to say, being as they sell the high end naim and linn kit but are also pretty honest in thier veiws!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    You should work for a tabloid paper stan
    What would AoS be without a bit of banter. I hope not many take it serious.

Would you like me to see if I can get a review out of these guys that I will be putting the caiman up against some high end naim and linn sources with! I dunno if they will but it might be quite interesting hearing what they have to say, being as they sell the high end naim and linn kit but are also pretty honest in thier veiws!
    I am certain that many AoS visitors would appreciate your efforts Hamish. Just take your time to type it out...

Getting back on topic somewhat: I myself like the vinyl sound. In particular the timing, delivery, reverb, and soundstage. I even design my DACs according to those principles. But unless one has heard the vinyl sound and liked it, the term means nothing.

There's however a wider range of amps and speakers out there that were designed in the digital era, with many exhibiting their own digital-to-analogue signature. If upgrading is under consideration, then knocking together items A, B, and C because each of them is supposed to be outstanding in their own right, can easily end in tears. So the bits in the music chain have to be is harmony with each other and form a coherent bond. It can be an expensive nightmare trying to find the offending/weakest link in a music chain. Even the electricity supply can become a suspect in that case.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    What would AoS be without a bit of banter. I hope not many take it serious.
    im fairly certain most of people here got your "sence of humor"

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    I am certain that many AoS visitors would appreciate your efforts Hamish. Just take your time to type it out...
    are you in some way insuinuating that i dont take my time over my posts and that perhaps my grammar and spelling are not so hot ...
    erm....yeah.... you would probably be right

i would try much harder if i was to do a write up..ie do it in word and spell check it first!

sorry ... thread hijack of the more rude type here... il be quite now
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Thanks Dave

You've certainly convinced me to check out the Cambridge. I've swapped around a lot of cables and interconnects over the years and my opinion is that it's Horses for Courses (assuming the basics are right of course - I've never heard bell-wire sound better than a 79 strand for example).

All the best

Martin
    Hi Martin

Well mine's a Blacksheep ' seriously i hope you like the CA amp ' i think it could keep you happy for a few years ' i intend to keep my 740a for some time.

I will be interested to see if it works well with your speakers ' its so crucial to get this partnership right.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm sure Stan and I would agree on many things, except that today, I don't believe you have to spend thousands of pounds on a CD player unless you want a fancy milled case with blingy add-ons. The electronics are too cheap these days.. let's face it Stan, at today's dealer margins, if you sold your DAC's through retail, they'd go for as much as the 840C does - well, perhaps the 740C.........

I hope this won't be for a few years yet, but when the laser on my machine gives out, I don't really know what I'm going to do. Even if the CD-M1 light-pen is still available, I don't know anyone locally who would have the special mirror-tool to set it up on the swing-arm properly and I'm still not ready to have a computer as a transport yet, let alone a NAS to store all the discs on...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12