+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rega RB250, how good or bad are they?

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Depends on the TT and cartridge, I guess. I tried one (RB250?) on a Gyrodeck with an ATOC9 and it was horrid. The 774 worked, though.
    Just horrid? Or an Absolute Shower, too?

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Just horrid? Or an Absolute Shower, too?
    Grey and dull.
    ABD.

I'm Grant.

Do a few mods to the 250 and it is a very good arm...everything is price dependant but for maybe the price of a standard 3009 , if you already have a 250 you can get AO to put it up there.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Grey and dull.
    We are back to personal preferences again. I have a Dutch friend who thinks my Quad 57s are dull and boring. When I listen to his system, I find it sharp and unnatural, in fact, quite painful in the upper frequencies. He calls it exciting and live. Not like my live it ain't.

We've had the same discussion about pre-amps. Until you hear something, you don't know if it is good for you.

I'm Adam.

For what it's worth, I'd say that the standard RB250 is good, but the standard RB300 is better. They both image well and have great bass but my ears also agree that they can tend towards being a bit grey and lifeless across the midband. The RB300 is better in this respect, and everything gets better still as you go up the Rega range - the RB1000 is a lovely thing.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    For what it's worth, I'd say that the standard RB250 is good, but the standard RB300 is better. They both image well and have great bass but my ears also agree that they can tend towards being a bit grey and lifeless across the midband. The RB300 is better in this respect, and everything gets better still as you go up the Rega range - the RB1000 is a lovely thing.
    Spot on Adam, this is my experience also.

The 3 point mounted versions sound different, perhaps more relaxed, and the latter arm tubes seem less resonant too....

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I think "for the money" is the real point here. Second hand what's not to like ? Currently running an Origin Live RB250 with XTM counterweight on my family room deck and it gives me as much pleasure as my main rig.

Pete

I'm Alan.

The Audiomods RB 250 I considerably better though I have owned the RB250, RB300 and OL1 and after building the Audiomods arm I realised what people meant when they say the original arm sounds tonally grey.
    Rega P3 sold soon after but the OL1 sounds good on a Techy 1210

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123