I'm ILOB.

Default Woodstock

Its 40 years since the event
    For me the musical highlights include
    Santana
    Sly Stone

Joe Cocker

Ten Years After
    Last edited by John; 16-08-2009 at 07:01.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

For me, the highlights are Soul Sacrifice by Santana and Wooden Ships by CSN&Y. The movie and soundtrack are unequalled in the 'being there' stakes though I suspect that everyone who attended had a completely different experience!

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

Just a great track I love early Santana how the guitars and rhythms fit so tight together but its the energy most of all I enjoy
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Nick.

Their studio stuff wasn't as good as they were live - I think you're right about their energy. That's what makes the difference.
    Nick
    My system...

I'm ILOB.

yes its a shame kind of lost that in the studio
    This CD is well worth checkin out as manages to capture that energy
    Last edited by John; 16-08-2009 at 07:40.

I'm Neil.

I love the WoodStock CSN version of woodenships. This must be one of my fave tracks from the late 60's. Their recent attempt at this at Glastonbury was very poor.

John don't forget that Journey came out of Santana, both Greg Rollie and Neal Schon both playing at WoodStock.

I must be honest and say I don't like CannedHeat.

One of the most frustrating things about WoodStock as a movie is the bands we don't see playing such as the Jefferson Airplane....I love them in all their various guises, Jefferson Starship, Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra, Starship. However quite often their music strays into what can only be described as music for a stage show or musical....go figure.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

I've checked out loads of different early versions of Wooden Ships, Neil and the Woodstock one is definitely best - though apparently some of it wasn't actually recorded live at Woodstock, but overdubbed later - the organ bit at the start IIRC! I can't find the reference now but there were a few bits from a few of the sets that were re-recorded for the film
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I've checked out loads of different early versions of Wooden Ships, Neil and the Woodstock one is definitely best - though apparently some of it wasn't actually recorded live at Woodstock, but overdubbed later - the organ bit at the start IIRC! I can't find the reference now but there were a few bits from a few of the sets that were re-recorded for the film

Ummm that sounds like Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous or should that be Well sort of live in the studio and dangerousish

Its the delicacy, haunting guitar playing and harmonies I love about Woodenships....CSN at their very best IMHO.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

Yes Journey came out of Santana Intially Journey had some progressive and fusion leanings that over the course of time became more commercial

Last edited by John; 16-08-2009 at 09:03.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Its 40 years since the event
    For me the musical highlights include
    Santana

Sly Stone

Joe Cocker

Ten Years After
    It was good to see Country Joe and the Fish again. There was not nearly enough of Janis Joplin or of Hendrix. The Who were poor, Jefferson Airplane adequate and both Arlo Guthrie and John Sebastian pathetic.

I'm greatful to the directors for including footage of Ten Years After. Alvin Lee is such an awful guitarist, their act afforded me a convenient opportunity to go and have a pee, make a sandwitch and open another bottle of beer - and after all that, Lee was still playing!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast