+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sorbothane / Wooden Cone Feet

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I should also point out that the wooden cones are doing sterling service under the Dac... They have definitley improved the sound of the Dac and they will be staying in the system...

Thanks to David for sending them...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I have just moved the slant risers away from the Heresy's (my back is now complaining!) and put some felt underneath them which replaced some squishy feet thingy's and I think I prefer the felt... thanks Geoff for the tip..
    Jolly good!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Thanks so much to David (MCRU) for supplying a range of 'feet' to try out in my system...

My final analysis is that the wooden cone feet are perfect for underneath the Dac and that the 'squishy' feet are great underneath the cdp..

It's quite tricky to tell you how these simple upgrades have helped but I do find the sound improvement to be beneficial to the whole system..

Thanks again David (MCRU) for the trial sets, much appreciated..

I will now purchase, from David (MCRU), suitable feet to go under the amp as well....

I think that Geoff's idea of felt under the Heresy's has also helped... they seem to project the sound a bit better with the felt under them..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Paul.

Jolly good.

I'm Geoff.

Glad it's all working out Bev. You can never be sure what solutions will work until you try them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Glad it's all working out Bev. You can never be sure what solutions will work until you try them.
    Thanks again Geoff for the tip of felt under the speakers... the Heresy's really seem to like it...
    Bev

I'm Andras.

Great stuff! Tweaks are really something one has to try in ones own system to get right. Im glad you were able to dial in you system just so!
    Firstwatt J2, AN-J LX HE, Lampizator L4G5.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I totally agree, hence why I am using it.
    I was wondering about looking at the equipment to shelf interface next.
    It's interesting because with my Mana racks (glass on spikes in metal frame) I don't like heavily absorptive material like sorbothane, sort of defeats the object of the 'ground coupling' of glass & spiked metal. I prefer no extra cones, but I do use 4x Black Ravoli pads under my 9KG DAC as they have big aluminium feet and are too slippy / hard on glass.

It depends on whether you want to 'couple' or 'decouple' your HiFi components from the outside 'ground' environment (vibrations coming through floor or out of the gear rather than just free air). Using Oak cones for example will offer a tight coupling with some absorption from the material used, but Sorbothane decouples the component - people sometimes report of a more 'mushy' sound with Sorbothane and more 'detailed' sound with wooden cones... Or maybe Sorbothane is more 'natural' and the wooden cones are too 'harsh'...

Mana racks work differently & certainly do not isolate, and IMHO I don't believe in phases, and am sure these were originally designed as a 'cure' for people using a Mana rack on a concrete floor - for a suspended wooden floor I like 'angle iron & spiked glass' and perhaps it does impart a 'live' colouration, but I like things sounding more live if there's no harshness. I also like to use spiked metal stands for my speakers i.e. everything coupled to the floor.

The thing is, if like REXTON you have huge 50+kg monster speakers, and not standmounts like I use, then the rules completely change. This stuff is very room and system dependent.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Kevin.

My rack is "spiked" (with Super Spikes) onto my suspended wooden floor.
    By using the Sorbothane between the rack and the glass shelves, it has cut down on the vibration in the glass shelf. The components on the rack (all except the SL1200) use their original feet.

Has the sorbothane turned the sound "mushy"? I don't think so. Not to my ears anyway.
    Will wooden cones make any difference? I don't think so. I have loads of oak in the garden, so I may make some blocks up and see what happens.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789