+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Additional Headshell Mass with a 103R in a Standard SL1210 Arm?

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sounds feasible, but then all the bog-standard 103s I’ve ever used (on proper arms) haven’t exhibited the traits Dave has mentioned…..

Marco.
    Maybe the Techincs OEM one isn't up to the job as noted further up-thread...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, Neal, but the thing that doesn't make sense is that, in Dave's set-up, the Technics arm seems perfectly 'up to the job' with a DL-103R, but not the bog-standard 103...

If the arm is good enough to work with one cartridge, then it should be the same with the other... There's nothing about the 'R' that should make the Technics arm handle it better than it does the bog-standard 103...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm breathing.

Remember this thread?!

Well so had I too until I was reading through HiFi World readers letters the other day when lo and behold, a fella was having exactly the same prob on the same LP and same track.

Yup's, groove wall damage was the excuse offered, sounds reasonable. 103R reveals damage more so than the DL110 on my copy of Joans finest.

Elsewhere on every other LP I have the 103R continues to impress, huzah!

Moral of the story, know thy test records are perfect before coming to conclusions, duh, yer a wally DTB :-)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

How's it going, Dave? Hope you are well

Lol - glad you got to the bottom of it in the end! Yup, groove wall damage is common, particularly on second-hand LPs.

I've suffered the effect of that too, especially on classical music records, during orchestral crescendos, where it's obviously that the poor quality of the styli previous owners have used and/or incorrect set-up of their cartridges, has caused such damage - and as you've found, there's no way of eliminating it.

Enjoy the 103 - it's a remarkably good sounding design, when correctly partnered and set-up properly

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm breathing.

Hi ya Marco, its actually my own copy that I've owned from new IIRC. We did have 2 copies, I gave one away so any damage would've been done by me. When I 1st got into 'hifi' as a teenager I had all manner of tatt, still have the uncharitable might say!... so I'd have to apportion blame to a particularly nasty Garrard SP25 Mk4 and possibly a crystal cart at the time.

I'm scott.

you don,t have a change the mass of the headshell to get better tracking

Test equipment: Technics SL-1200MK3 turntable, Denon DL-103R cartridge
    -Test LP: Hi-Fi News Test LP

*Generally considered desirable frequency ranges (from a point of view of a cartridge): Lateral: 8-15Hz / Vertical: 8-15Hz

Just by changing the headshell Now

Lateral resonance test, 25-5Hz
    Vertical resonance test, 16-6Hz

headshells are all the same !!!

I'm scott.

Nasotec Swing Head Shell - a new solution to an old problem

Korean Nasotec Corporation Intoduce the Swing Headshell for all you vinylistas.

This ‘Swing Headshell’ has a very soft and flexible joint designed to make your cartridge always align with the tangent of the groove The joint precisely machined joint has small miniature bearing inside making the “swing” of the headshell very smooth and sensitive & will ensure the stylus keeps delicate and unbiased tracking.

Swing Headshell will reduce tracking angle error when installed properly and should give a better sound quality than fixed headshells.

Most of the vibration from the cartridge will be dissipated at the joint and should reduce arm resonances.

In effect Nasotec the Swing Headshell acts almost as if it were another, and very short, tonearm and will offer up a more stable stereo image than fixed headshell cartridges.

Swing Headshell to your arm will extend the life of your stylus.

The Swing Headshell is available in three different styles to suit different tonearm and cartridge set ups

This ‘Swing Headshell’ has a very soft and flexible joint designed to make a cartridge always align with the tangent of the groove circle. In addition, the joint machined precisely has small miniature bearing inside and makes the very flexible and sensitive swings. Therefore, the stylus keeps delicate and unbiased groove tracking. The sound has no strained but dynamic, high resolution, firm bass and low vinyl noise

The problem with angular deflection when playing vinyl is about as old as the turntable itself. Nasotec have found a new solution to the problem - a sort of tangential head-shell?

Choice of solution for arm on turntable is often a choice between one of many evils. There are many parameters that must be met, and horizontal angle playback is one of these parameters. As is known, traditional radial arms introducing angular errors most places on the disc. And a shorter arm produce bigger angle deviation towards the center. If you increase the length of the arm, deviation is reduced. But simultaneously other parameters are introduced, such as increased effective mass.

Tangential arm is the optimum solution for the angular deviation. It provides perfect horizontal tracking angle through the entire board. But then, there are also here new concerns, such as displacement mechanism..

Nasotec have found a different solution to provide tangential playback. They have made a head shell they call Swing Headshell. The concept is extremely simple, and is based on a part of the head shell providing automatic orientation adjustment relative to the groove direction. Those of us who have tried towing a boat knows that it finds out the direction of speed, at least if the rope is attached to the center of the bow. And we also know that there may be some oscillation from time to time ...

I'm breathing.

Very interesting Scott, ta for the heads up. I've not heard of that device before.

Out of interest, have you got a video of how well it navigates the Torture Tracks on the same disc?
    Last edited by Dave the bass; 02-03-2016 at 10:19. Reason: missed out words.

I'm scott.

no video on the hifi news torture tracks , will see if i can make a video with mine before & after
    video resonance test dave

I'm breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    will see if i can make a video with mine before & after
    video resonance test dave
    Nice one ta.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456