+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Drift - pros & cons?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    LOL. You're the best example of the lot, matey. You've only been here 12 days and you're already a 'Senior Member' with 126 posts...

I guess you're part of the 'in-crowd', then?

Marco.
    A couple of my posts have even been about hi-fi!

I've seen exactly the same discussions on other (non-hifi) forums, and my 2p worth is that I obviously like the banter here, else I would't have been so prolific, and if I had in any way felt there was a clique I probably wouldn't have hung around (witness my post on giving up on another forum because I felt newbies in particular got ignored.)

Knowing what I'm like, I'll probably post less as the novelty wears off, but I usually like to dive in and make friends, have a bit of a laugh and learn a lot along the way, and this forum is right up my alley, so to speak!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

You tell 'em, Alex!

Hi Dave,

The ones that stay do but lots don't...
    ...and so it is with life in real communities, just as it is in virtual ones such as Internet forums.

People come and people go - there are many reasons for this, not necessarily those you may think are responsible. No-one here is a mind reader, Dave, so short of asking those who've been absent their reasons for being so, there's no way of knowing for sure. I'm sure that won't stop you surmising until the cows come home, though!

I have my views and you have yours - and never the twain shall meet, young chap! In your favour, the ability to agree to disagree without falling out is another of the strengths of this forum - hope I don't push it beyond the limits but I am unlikely to change my view - it is a matter of perception and, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. I see a clique core in this forum, you don't; end of story.
    That's fine Dave - people will always have disagreements and you and I are no exception. Overall, we get on very well though, which is the most important thing.

The fact is no forum is perfect - all have their 'cliques'. Perhaps you could name a forum which you consider as the perfect template for 'non-cliqueyness?', and I'll be more than willing to take whatever they do to achieve this on board. I actually consider your use of the term 'clique' in reference to AOS quite derogatory. Whilst trying to be as unbiased as possible, I really can't think of a more welcoming and friendly audio site than this.

Alex mentioned his problems with the What Hifi? forum, which I would agree with. Steve (Aquapiranha) has mentioned the problems with Wigwam and pfm, which although being good forums in their own right, I would echo. Zerogain is too dead for there to be any cliques, and the World Designs and Audio Talk forums are in my opinion way more cliquey than here, so where else is there that you'd consider as the epitome of 'non-cliqueyness'?

Even the US audio sites are rife with 'in-crowds'... The point I'm making is that there are cliques in all walks of life - sometimes intended and sometimes not. If there are any here I can assure you that they're of the latter and not the former category. I see it more as a group of like-minded enthusiasts helping each other and sharing information/experiences, which you've already alluded to. We try to be as friendly and make everyone as welcome as possible, and there is plenty of evidence of this.

However, if despite our best efforts people still feel that AOS isn't for them then I'm afraid that's life, me old son! You can't win 'em all

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

I think it's a lot like restaurants or pubs or even favourite armchairs ... we all have our personal favourites - places where we feel comfortable and at ease and not have to be too careful about how we behave. Same goes for hifi forums - some folks are more cumfy here, and that's really nice to see, others are more cumfy somewhere else.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm sorry if this slightly uncumfy outsider rocked the boat.

I'm David.

i think as a "regular" who sits outside the "clique" i can offer a p.o.v. on this..
    i have been to many forums and recived a very cold reception and although there is definatey an air of cliqueness between some people on here (tending to be the people who talk about marcos pink chemise or whatever) i dont think that really is a problem. everyone is very welcoming and very reasonable even when faced with oposing opinion! the idea of having a room specifically for introducing your self i think is most refreshing!
    my advice to anyone who gets distracted by those who get distracted and talk nonsence (about marcos yellow thongs or whatever), should just skip through the crap, put a hold on their imagination for a second, and if needs be restate the question!
    i my self have never felt uncofortable, even in debate, and that,based on my previous experience of both photography/hifi forums, i think says a lot for this place!

alex-uk ... you are getting seriously close to being welcomed with open arms into the "clique" ... i would think long and hard about falling into it, im fairly certain that they get up to some pretty odd stuff... maybe involving large quantitys of expensive wine, ladys clothing and loud music (so no one can hear you scream)
    all im saying is...if anything bad happens dont say you wernt warned!!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm InSpace.

Hmmm...

Well, if there IS a 'clique', and I'm not so sure there is TBH, it's an open-clique. Anyone can join! All that's needed is to recognise Marco's penchant for wearing women's clothing and thats it, job done!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

If we stopped the Daphne's frock and matching accessories cliquey in-jokes the drift problem would be well-and-truly solved.

It was fun for a while but I groan each time I see it now.

I'm Nick.

Agreed, and I'm happy to delete any and all future references to that subject going forward, if it'd help. It's definitely a joke that's gone past it's best-before date
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

<hands Nick the scissors>

I'm David.

look see... all scrambleing to make light of it and removing referances .... like nothing goes on behind closed doors... im on to you, you dirty beggards
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

It was never anything to do with me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast