+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Centre Speakers Suck

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by windhoek View Post
    I've just returned to a surround setup and have decided on a 4.0 system to ensure good sonic cohesion across the front channels. Fwiw, I've got neighbours on three sides of my listening room, so don't want or need a sub.

I use it mostly with m/c DVD-A, SACD and Blu-ray audio discs (I'm not too fussed about films) and yet lots of people keep saying I absolutely need a centre speaker, well no thanks, my system rocks
    I'm guessing you use identical speakers on all four corners?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

So if you use a tweeter and two mid/bass drivers fed the same signal, do you lose the multiple driver effect?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    So if you use a tweeter and two mid/bass drivers fed the same signal, do you lose the multiple driver effect?
    If by that you mean without crossover. The main drivers will sound different to the tweeters and the tweeters will die as soon as an appreciable signal goes through them. Large amplitude low range signals are a No No with tweeters. The crossover helps protect the tweeters (and mids if fitted).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

No, sorry, I did mean with a crossover . But with the same signal from the crossover feeding two bass/mids as opposed to one of the same.

I'm Martin.

If you run both the mid bass units all the way down you will get a different sound because you have two drivers outputting the same mid band signal whereas if you run them as described above i.e a 2 and a half way design only one driver will output midband signal. So having two drivers doing midband will change the whole presentation of the sound. Imaging in particular will be very different due to the change in the radiating pattern of the sound.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

That is also why a centre speaker usually has two mids and lies on its side - so you get a wide dispersion of the sound it produces and folk sat outside the sweet spot can hear it better.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm guessing you use identical speakers on all four corners?
    Yes, ATC 7s front and rear although front audio is routed via my stereo amp's AV Bypass to make sure m/c music is more musical. It's not an expensive set up by a means, but I like it
    Analogue
    Technics 1210GR (AT-VM95ML)>Rega Aria mk2>Teddy Pardo i80a>Tannoy Eaton Legacy

Digital Stereo
    Bluesound Node 2i>Chord Qutest>Teddy Pardo i80a>Tannoy Eaton Legacy

Digital Surround
    (f): OPPO 103D>Marantz NR1510>Teddy Pardo i80a>Tannoy Eaton Legacy
    (r): OPPO 103D>Marantz NR1510>Kralk Audio BC-30
    (c): no centre
    (s): no sub

Other
    Headphones :Sennheiser HD650
    Equipment Stands: Mana Acoustics

I'm Andrew.

But turned on their end, you just have a high frequency sound coming from between the lower frequency ones. I am not sure your ears would know quite where they would be coming from and so stereo integrity should be maintained, .

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    But turned on their end, you just have a high frequency sound coming from between the lower frequency ones. I am not sure your ears would know quite where they would be coming from and so stereo integrity should be maintained, .
    Yes you'll still get a stereo image but it will be a bit diffuse compared to using just one driver to handle the mid-bass. As I said above there are advantages to doing it and there are also disadvantages. That's speaker design in a nutshell really. If you are really into stereo imaging and sound-staging and want every instrument solid and in its place (as much as the mix will allow) then it is probably not a good idea.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andrew.

I always question established thought. Obviously not being a scientist I sometimes come up up a bit short on some subjects but my method is now ingrained and has on occasion been successful. Thank you for your patience Macca and Walpurgis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast