+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio Technica OC5

I'm Hugo.

Default Audio Technica OC5

Out of curiosity, I dug out an old AT OC5 cartridge and mounted it on the SL-1210, this time fitted with the Audio Origami'd Technics arm and a Sumiko headshell. Bearing in mind that I thought it was a bit tired, having been used for several years about 15 years ago, I'm pleasantly surprised at its performance - a bit polite, but certainly detailed and listenable.

This makes me wonder whether the OC9 or AT33PTG might be to my taste, while my Kontrapunkt B is awaiting regeneration (I do want to have a good MC to use as the fancy takes me). Can any users of these two cartridges comment about their musical presentation (notwithstanding ancillary gear, issues with synergy etc)? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the AT33PTG has a more upfront sound than the OC9, and I like the idea of that, which is why I enjoy the Ortofon 2M Black. I know that Dave Cawley does a good deal on the OC9, but the AT33PTG is apparently better value, albeit imported from Japan.

Any thoughts out there? I'd be using it in the Tecnoarm as well as the Technics arm.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

We sold loads of AT-F5's, OC7's and OC9's back in the day as well as one or two OC30's and they all have a family sound. Taut bass with no overhang, a light midrange and a treble region which showed only too well if the record being played had an upper-mid and treble boost. The Kontrapunkts, IIRC, had a more "Koetsu" romance in the tonal balance - what they lack in truthfulness they make up for in warmth and "nice-ness." A long time ago now though since I heard them.....

Of the AT's, the old OC30 pointed the way to the 33PTG. I don't know how the other 33's compare to the PTG, but this latter seems to be "the one" for this European climate, the others maybe better for the very different Japanese climate.

I think the AT33e was the only one to be "officially" imported over here (hopefully someone will correct me) and reviews from the mid eighties indicated that the bass to treble quality wasn't quite "balanced." Certainly, the vapour deposited cantilever and tiny ML chip of modern AT's seem to give a better bass reproduction than former models.

The PTG seems to have a slightly "beefier" quality whilst keeping the AT sound. The OC9 is still a bargain though. See if Dave can do a deal on one.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Dave (DJSR) - like so many of your posts, I can't add anything, but I have to say that every time I read one "I'm not worthy" springs to mind - can I just express my admiration and thanks for your contributions, (hopefully without sounding like too much of a lick arse!) - I am learning a lot from you, and others on this forum which is keeping me hooked!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I can do £350 on a OC9 for you. They are a very easy to get along with cartridge and despite calculations, perform really well in most arms. A well tempered cartridge if ever there was one!

Regards

Dave

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Dave (DJSR) - like so many of your posts, I can't add anything, but I have to say that every time I read one "I'm not worthy" springs to mind - can I just express my admiration and thanks for your contributions, (hopefully without sounding like too much of a lick arse!) - I am learning a lot from you, and others on this forum which is keeping me hooked!
    Alex, I'm the one who feels not worthy, believe me...

Like many probable Aspergics, I've been interested in things that rotate since I was a toddler (in my son's case when he toddled, it was the rotating drum in our washing machine) - in my case it was records played on the record player... From primary school days in the mid sixties I explored record and HiFi shops, bought HiFi Sound magazine (it was a fantastic publication in its day) and, as usual with "us," mopped up as much info as my growing brain and intellect could manage, losing much of my school education in the process

After 30 plus years "ferreting" around (Simon P will know what I'm talking about ), setting up countless Linns and working for dealers covering much of the "good" stuff at the time, I've sort of got all this experience with no outlet to pour it into.. hence my epistles on here. My social skills were perfect with fellow audio freaks, but next to useless outside of my "comfort zone." Thankfully, my wife has helped no end to redress this

Only now, in my fifties, with my toe in a couple of (part time) doors and the prospects on retirement now in my late sixties (currently 68 by 2020), I am thinking that if I can get a level 3 NVQ out of the way (and a level 3 certificate in "Generalist Advice" too), I might just be able to tackle a foundation degree and possibly consider something in teaching or similar, giving me a few years before senility kicks in......... Whether anyone would want a newly qualified chap pushing 60 is anyone's guess though......

Alex, you're doing fine. Watching and listening to other people is how I and probably everyone else learns...

Back to topic. I love the AT balance and these carts suit the Spendors so well. Other top end carts such as the ZYX R100 have similar qualities (possibly with a bit more "top-to-bottom" integrity, but you pay dearly for this). The OC9 ML should last you for many, many hundreds of hours of listening. It'll track well right to end of side and won't wear your records out either..
    Last edited by DSJR; 15-08-2009 at 10:32.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread