+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having PC problems, help!

I'm Dan.

Thumbs down Having PC problems, help!

Hi guys,

I am in a bit of a bind with my PC, which I use for everything, so it is a real pain. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Yesterday, my PC just decided to randomly restart itself and after the Windows 7 logo, the screen went black and displayed the 'no input' signal.

It sounded to me that there was a problem with the graphics card driver (my card is a NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX), so after running the startup recovery that my machine recommended to no avail, I booted in safe mode, uninstalled GeForce Experience, uninstalled the driver, downloaded a new one and reinstalled. No joy.

I have tried the msconfig route, disabling all but essential programs in case of some kind of conflict, no joy.

I have tried several system restore points, no luck.

The machine will still boot in safe mode, but that is not much good. Has anyone got any ideas?:

I'm Alex.

If you can get into Safe Mode, that's a good start.

Before you go into Safe Mode there might be something like "start in last good configuration that worked", that might just be in XP etc, can't remember.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Yes, it's there:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...m#step-heading

Machines may take longer to boot using this, just be patient, if it does boot, next time you start the machine it should be back to normal.
    Last edited by spendorman; 03-01-2015 at 12:07.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

I had a similar problem with my Windows 7 PC a year or so back. My guess was a virus, but I didn't establish what the cause was. You may need to do what I did and reinstall the O/S, I'd imagine you can still access bios to boot from a CD. I bought a reinstall disc from eBay for about a fiver and had the PC back like new in an hour or two. Just make sure it covers the Windows 7 version you use and identify (and write down) the exact product key number before you start (free keyfinder download from Download.com). Obviously save anything important to CD or memory stick first. I also keep a bootable CD of Linux Mint to use for internet access in emergencies. You may find your PC has a recovery facility of its own. I know Acers do.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Barry.

Hope you get your PC up and running, I would then suggest you then look at some image backup software or snapshot programs like rollback rx or ax64 time machine, do a back up each morning, then if a problem occurs just jump back in time before it happened. Been running my pc this way for years, a lot quicker then a reinstall and far better then the inbuilt system restore which only back up's part of your system.

If it's a plug in card it may pay to check it's has not moved in the slot, remove and replace, I have had this problem a number of times over the years.

I'm Dan.

cheers for the replies everyone.

Unfortunately I have tried last good configuration with no success.

It does look like a windows reinstall is in order unfortunately, but because I can only boot in safe mode, I can't copy to my external drive, so I'm probably going to lose a load of stuff. Thankfully I have my official Windows 7 disc, so I won't need to do anything shady.

I will try this afternoon, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I may need a new graphics card which will be extremely pricy

I'm Alex.

No need to loose stuff, always something one can do if you can boot into safe mode.

At worst, remove hard drive, and connect to another computer to copy files.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

sounds more like the video card to me. it could be replaced without losing your data. might be worth taking it to a shop and having it tested. pc world are good up my way.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

As Geoff mentioned, Linux can be useful, one can make a bootable DVD or USB memory stick, boot machine to this, all functionality will be there, you can plug in your external drive and copy your files off the Windows 7 hard drive to the external drive.

If you don't want to make a bootable DVD or USB memory stick, they can be bought ready done, eg:

http://www.thelinuxshop.co.uk/catalo...FYkBwwod8BAAMg

I would probably go for Linux Mint.
    Spendorman

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    sounds more like the video card to me. it could be replaced without losing your data. might be worth taking it to a shop and having it tested. pc world are good up my way.
    Good advice, don't start pulling out HDs just yet, you might get away with a new bit of hardware...
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast