+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intergrated amplifiers

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    This is not a spelling class

S.
    I agree, but standards in English language need to be maintained.
    How would you feel if someone spelt your name wrong ?

synsei Guest

To be fair Martyn this is not a forum dedicated to literary standards, it is but a humble hifi forum. As an aside, I know a couple of gentlemen who are scientific geniuses and yet neither of them can spell for toffee. Do I pick them up on their dreadful spelling? Of course not as I have far too much respect for both them and their work and anyway it would be churlish of me to do so

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    To be fair Martyn this is not a forum dedicated to literary standards, it is but a humble hifi forum. As an aside, I know a couple of gentlemen who are scientific geniuses and yet neither of them can spell for toffee. Do I pick them up on their dreadful spelling? Of course not as I have far too much respect for both them and their work and anyway it would be churlish of me to do so
    Point taken.
    An Academic I worked with at Oxford University is a case in point.
    His capillaries were spelt 'capilliaries .
    Mind you, quite a few people have trouble with that word...

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    Point taken.
    Indeed... One of the gentlemen I mentioned is a chemist and he spells it 'capilliaries' too, I wonder if they studied the same course?

I was brought up to speak 'proper' and you would often hear my mum berating me for using 'ain't' for example, or telling me off for dropping my H's. "Hospital begins with the letter 'H' David - It's hospital not 'ospi(t)ul'...". It was always 'David' on such occasions, with the emphasis on the last syllable...

I'm Andy.

I agree, but standards in English language need to be maintained.
    How would you feel if someone spelt your name wrong ?
    Should that read, " spelt your name incorrectly." - Just a thought.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Should that read, " spelt your name incorrectly." - Just a thought.
    You are absolutely correct.
    I put it down to 1.15am after a long day out...

I'm Andy.

You are absolutely correct.
    I put it down to 1.15am after a long day out...

No probs- sorry l meant no problem.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hard1175 View Post
    Hi guy's
    I'm looking at buying a new intergrated amp
    Have any of you owned or demed either a Perreaux eloquence 250i or a Modwright audio KWI 200
    I would be greatful for any views you have on these amps.

Regards
    Bernie
    I'm sorry to see that most posters to date seem to be more engrossed in having a literary related argument instead of answering your question Bernard

I have heard the Perreaux which I think would be a very good match with your speakers. Forget weedy 35wpc amps with the Proacs. I owned a pair of these (and some Ref 8 Signatures) and you really do need much more grunt with them to control them at volume, particularly in the bass. The Perreaux has more than enough power for the proacs which are not particularly sensitive nor the easiest load in the LF region to control despite the relatively benign nominal impedance. I have also had on demo a Perreaux Audiant 80i which also proved to be a cracking amplifier but possibly still lacking in enough grunt for the little Proacs if your tastes include rock played at high volume.

My experiences with the Proacs was that anything much under 100wpc wasn't all that successful at controlling the cones when playing bass heavy material at volume. Even my (then) Rega 80wpc pre/power set up struggled and it was only when I hooked the Rega Pre up with a Quad 909 that the little proacs really started to sing and were kept tightly under control.

How this translates with your sub in the picture, I don't know. You may be able to get away with something less meaty when using an active sub since most of the power requirements are needed for programme material sub 1KHz.

I can only advise without the sub in the picture, but generally speaking, over-specifying amplification is rarely as problematical as under specifying with regard to power output. Personally, I'd go with the Perreaux as a pretty safe bet and it allows flexibility for future speaker purchases too.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    I'm sorry to see that most posters to date seem to be more engrossed in having a literary related argument instead of answering your question Bernard

I have heard the Perreaux which I think would be a very good match with your speakers. Forget weedy 35wpc amps with the Proacs. I owned a pair of these (and some Ref 8 Signatures) and you really do need much more grunt with them to control them at volume, particularly in the bass. The Perreaux has more than enough power for the proacs which are not particularly sensitive nor the easiest load in the LF region to control despite the relatively benign nominal impedance. I have also had on demo a Perreaux Audiant 80i which also proved to be a cracking amplifier but possibly still lacking in enough grunt for the little Proacs if your tastes include rock played at high volume.

My experiences with the Proacs was that anything much under 100wpc wasn't all that successful at controlling the cones when playing bass heavy material at volume. Even my (then) Rega 80wpc pre/power set up struggled and it was only when I hooked the Rega Pre up with a Quad 909 that the little proacs really started to sing and were kept tightly under control.

How this translates with your sub in the picture, I don't know. You may be able to get away with something less meaty when using an active sub since most of the power requirements are needed for programme material sub 1KHz.

I can only advise without the sub in the picture, but generally speaking, over-specifying amplification is rarely as problematical as under specifying with regard to power output. Personally, I'd go with the Perreaux as a pretty safe bet and it allows flexibility for future speaker purchases too.

Spot on Paul, l have owned and enjoyed a good few ProAc loudspeakers and in my book you do not get to hear what they are capable of unless given a lot of power behind them.

I'm Richard.

Point taken.
    Is it one of these?
    ABD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast