+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Lead Help Please.

I'm Confused.

Default USB Lead Help Please.

Hi Guys,
    Having just been bowled over by the benefits of Mike Homar's new cable it raised a question in my mind. The music stream was CDP to StanDAC to amp to speakers. This stream is not my main way of listening to music as the CDP is normally replaced by the PC as the source. Given that replacing the interconnect between CDP and StanDAC produced such a major improvement, this raises the question that, all other bits of the music stream being the same, would it be possible to get a similar level of improvement by replacing the interconnect between PC and StanDAC? This interconnect is a USB A to B lead. So, ...... is it possible to obtain high quality USB leads more suited to audiophile applications than bog standard PC data transmission and, if so, from where?
    Any ideas or comments on the flawed logic out there?
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Just use decent quality USB leads.

The interface is very different to the S/PDIF you have used to connect CDP to DAC and the same logic does not apply.

Chris

The most you need is something like Belkin

Most DACs don't even use USB 2.0 (The Beresford USB is 1.1) so even a bog standard USB 2.0 cable is 'overkill'.

I'm Confused.

Thanks Chris and Chebby.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by chebby View Post
    The most you need is something like Belkin

Most DACs don't even use USB 2.0 (The Beresford USB is 1.1) so even a bog standard USB 2.0 cable is 'overkill'.
    You sure? The PCM2902 stock sheet I have from TI says it is USB2.0. I better take this up with TI.

I'm David.

i have had some trouble with wiring the beresord throught a cheapy usb hub.. the sound goes to crap, pops and crackles etc... i am lead to belve that this is due to the voltage being spilt between the ports? i know that this situation is because of the hub but if that can effect the signal, could a crap usb cable not do the same?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Has anyone noticed digital hashing noise when using the USB connection with a Windows Laptop? I have two fairly new Vista Laptops in the house. Both inject noise when the mains is plugged in, but are silent and perform most excellently when running on batteries.

The more expensive Samsung Q210 is worse than the Dell Inspiration.

I have not tied a different USB lead.

Perhaps I have very noisy mains?

The Samsung runs Squeezecentre and the Squeezebox does not have any problems, but of course there is no wired connection.

What experiences have others?

Any views Stan?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Dave I bought This Belkin one - gold plated connectors which won't tarnish, looks well made - just be aware it has a blue LED in each plug, which I don't mind, but might bug some people (both light pollution and sonically?) Can't say I can tell any difference between the cheapo one I used to start with, though... (It's gone up 50p since I bought mine though!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

You should always wire a USB cable between a PC port and a DAC. Don't route it trough a USB hub. The USB hub polls each or its port in serial mode, which results in an interruption of the data on a 1/n time span, where 'n' is the number of ports on the uSB hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    You sure? The PCM2902 stock sheet I have from TI says it is USB2.0. I better take this up with TI.
    The second line of this TI PCM2902 page says USB 1.1...

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...t/pcm2902.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast