+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portable Headphone Amp

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Portable Headphone Amp

Hi Guys - firstly can I just thank whichever mod it was that moved my other posts into the correct section here - hopefully I've got it right this time!

Right, the question - I listen to my ipod (80 GB Classic) almost constantly when I am in my regional office - which is usually 1 or 2 days a week, sometimes more. I also use it when I am away on overnight trips. I use a variety of headphones depending on the situation - Senheisser PX100 foldups being about as indescrete as I go when at work, and very portable. The sound is surprisingly good, but I was wondering if using a headphine amplifier would in any way improve it?

If the verdict is "yes" - then I've seen this one on ebay - I wouldn't really want to pay any more for one than this, and this looks a lot better than any of the Chinese specials... How does the spec on this look, to a complete non-electrical expert (as evidenced by my broken cd player thread!) Would it be likely to give any improvement - accepting of course that I need to hear it to find out for sure. Alternatively, has anyone any other suggestion? Maybe even building one myself as a first DIY project, if there are any decent kits anyone knows of?

Thanks again, sure there will be some great advice.

Alex
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

i can prob put you in touch with someone who could sell you a complete cmoy kit including a mint box to put it in ... even the battery ... i think i paid £20

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2609
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Thanks Hamish - I'm rather drawn to the idea of using it as my first DIY project, but I did think the ebay one looked nice, and is rechargable too... Maybe I'll do both!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

why not .. its not like its very much ££££
    did you get my pm?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    did you get my pm?
    Oh, now I see it! Thanks, I might try that.

I'm going to need a soldering iron - does this one look any good as a starter?
    Alex

I'm David.

i have no idea, but if anyone else can point in the right direction of a good priced good quality soldering iron i too need another as mine is a pile of poo!!
    solder too might be usefull

I'm Andy.

Hi Alex

To anyone wanting a Headphone Amp, from my experience look no further the Ray Samuels gear. I have heard the Pre Amps as well as a couple of the Head Amps. They perform exceptionally well. If I didn't already own a good Pre I would have the Emmeline II B-52.

A mate of mine used the Emmeline “The Tomahawk” and the Emmeline HR-2. Both very impressive.

Well worth a look at all his range.

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/#

Andy - SDDW

P.S. I have no links to this guy, he just makes exceptional gear.
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 14-08-2009 at 16:19. Reason: P.S. Added
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

Thanks Andy, probably a bit too overkill for an ipod and cheap 'phones, but the gear looks good and could be an option later (I think I'm in lust with the B-52, which is typically the top of the range at $5,350!)
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread