+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Optical vs. coaxial DAC connection

I'm Neal.

Leo, what / where did you get the pulse tx's?

I'm experimenting in that area at the moment with SB and Beresford DAC. Some mods already done to the Beresford IE Linear PSU (ALW SR to come), o/p cap replacement (before and after opamp), opamp replacement.

Found this improved performance and also that TOSLINK sounds just a bit better overall.

The 12v supply is split internally so next stage is to create new isolated 5v rails for DAC and 12v rail for the opamp.

I believe the reason why I've always found that coaxial sounds better than optical is to do with the quality of cable. Although light is not affected by outside interference (such as EM), it is far more affected by the quality of and defects in the cable.

Optical has an advantage though: it is higher bandwidth than coaxial.
    Come the ReVolution...

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I got the Pulse transformers from Digikey, they are 1:1 Newava S22083.
    They need to be loaded properly though to get the best out of them.

Its quite a long winded job getting co-axial right, often the reason why people find toslink better

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

And also because the cables are generally less expensive.

Like you say, getting coaxial right is a bit of a ball-ache, so that's why good digital coaxial cables are expensive.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

Thanks Leo, maybe I'll drop you an email about how to implement these transformers with the correct loading.

Marco, I can't resist , what is your definition of a good digital co-axial cable?

One that sounds good!

Read as: does as little to mess up the signal as possible, such as the one below which I use:

http://transparentcable.com/products...tal_cable.html

In my experience, good sounding digital coaxial cables, such as I have described above, start around the £200 mark. Below this level they are sonically compromised.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

In my experience, good sounding digital coaxial cables, such as I have described above, start around the £200 mark. Below this level they are sonically compromised.

Marco.

Why do you think that is?

LOL. Because it's what my ears tell me!

I've owned (and auditioned) many digital cables over the years

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andy.

Smile

Hi All
    Just to add my digital thoughts to this thread. I am in the fortunate position to have the option of using RCA/Balanced and AT&T Optical between my Tx and DAC and been able to switch between them. I find the one I mostly use and come back to each time is the AT&T optical, the Balanced would be next then the RCA digital. There is no night and day differences but certainly changes between them. I just find AT&T is the one I come back to every time. Though this is obviously only within the context of my system.
    Other trials with friends gear have shown usually if the option for balanced connection is available then that is more often the prefered option. Though I have not really had much success with standard optical cables. But I suppose it shows the each of us has different prefferences and needs.

Andy - SDDW

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Oh god no!.... here we go again!

Would you like me to make one for you?
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.