+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Optical vs. coaxial DAC connection

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Optical vs. coaxial DAC connection

[Question addressed to Mark Bartlett of Audiocom International]

Mark,

Ian and me were discussing last night (as you do!) the merits of optical and coaxial connections between a transport and DAC.

Ian reported that he obtained better sound from the optical connection via a Toslink lead (with his admittedly temporary cheap DAC) than he did with the coaxial connection in conjunction with a (fairly) high quality Kimber coaxial digital interconnect.

As you know, the consensus of opinion is that the coaxial connection is the way to go for best performance, but is that actually always the case and if so why?

Basically, what we'd like to know is if the optical route has any advantages over the coaxial one, and vice versa - and why!

What process is involved in both instances when the signal is being transferred?

Can you help?

Cheers.

Regards,
    Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...Basically, what we'd like to know is if the optical route has any advantages over the coaxial one, and vice versa - and why! ..
    I use optical over anything else, and I can give you one massive reason why optical is preferable; light is not affected by electrical interference whatsoever.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Interesting.

And yet whenever I've compared (umpteen times) the optical and coaxial connections on a hi-end DAC, with the requisite cables, the coaxial option wins hands down on sound quality every time...

Perhaps Mark can enlighten us?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

It shouldn't (theoretically) make any difference which input is used as long as the 1s and 0s are received. The resulting sound quality comes from the DAC after the transfer of data and not before, which of course doesn't apply to an analogue source.

However, I can understand why there may be differences.

Atacama SE24 stands

Maybe it's a cable thing?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Could be, there is a stark difference even with optical cables. I've tried a dozen or so and the best ones are the mid-price jobs from Maplin, £22.00 for a five metre cable that sounds better than a 0.75 metre for £175.00 from a higher end company. Maplin stuff is seriously underrated, although having said that there's not much choice in optical cables.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mark.

Hello Marco

Optical connections are not susceptible to line noise or other electromagnetic interference. With a cheap DAC the line noise would be predictably higher and the performance of the coaxial input is being reduced.
    With a high performance DAC such as the Sony DAS-R1, line noise is very low; the coaxial input is also electromagnetically screened.

Both the coaxial and optical inputs use SP/DIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format), the standard for carrying digital data between devices. There is no difference in the signal being transferred for optical or coaxial, both carry the same information. The selection or choice depends on the equipment, cables and personal preference.

Regards,
    Mark

Optical connections are not susceptible to line noise or other electromagnetic interference. With a cheap DAC the line noise would be predictably higher and the performance of the coaxial input is being reduced. With a high performance DAC such as the Sony DAS-R1, line noise is very low; the coaxial input is also electromagnetically screened.
    Thanks for that, Mark. It is indeed what I suspected, backs up my subjective listening tests (and what I mentioned to Ian last
    night)

In my set-up I will continue to use a high quality (Transparent) digital coaxial lead.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Maybe it's a cable thing?

Marco.
    Don't forget there could be an issue with the quality of the optical conversion at either/both ends of the link! There can also be problems caused by the cleanliness, or rather, lack of, with the optical connections themselves. Notably, 'noise'.

Cheers,
    Mike.

P.S. I have 'views' on the subject of digital transmission which I'll go into sometime. Like when I'm REALLY bored!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

[Question addressed to Mark Bartlett of Audiocom International]

Mark,

Ian and me were discussing last night (as you do!) the merits of optical and coaxial connections between a transport and DAC.

Ian reported that he obtained better sound from the optical connection via a Toslink lead (with his admittedly temporary cheap DAC) than he did with the coaxial connection in conjunction with a (fairly) high quality Kimber coaxial digital interconnect.

As you know, the consensus of opinion is that the coaxial connection is the way to go for best performance, but is that actually always the case and if so why?

Basically, what we'd like to know is if the optical route has any advantages over the coaxial one, and vice versa - and why!

What process is involved in both instances when the signal is being transferred?

Can you help?

Cheers.

Regards,
    Marco.
    For coaxial then cable is critical. Everyone thinks that CD is frequency limited and in the anologue mode it is. BUT in the digital mode it behaves more like radar in some of its propogation characteristics. Much **** is talked about transmission in digital mode and how it cannot be corrupted. For a simple digital stream OK but for digitised music that is something else. You need minimum stop start corruption and as a digital pulse is like square wave it has extreme high frequency components. SO the best cable is one that acts almost like a wave guide as opposed to a transmission line.

That is why I use a pipe. Get the cable right and coaxial is far better than optical. Optical has far higher pulse corruption due to the speed capability of switching light on and off and the start and decay properties of that light source.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast