+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infinity Reference Standard 2.5 speakers

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi jerry,
    as with all valve amps if the load they are driving deviates from the desired impedance then you will get a mismatch of power transfer, i presume your cary amps have output transformers [not OTL] so damage to your speakers is not realy an issue, if your amps did go pop in the worst posible scenario your output transformers would have to develope a catastrophic failier between primary and secondary, this rarely happens.
    hope this helps.
    anthony,TD...

I'm gone.

Yep, thanks Anthony.

The Carys do surprisingly well and haven't yet run out of juice, although I've not been brave enough yet to push them to the full extent I sometimes want from my music (i.e. big orchestral at realistic levels) - but they clearly don't 'grip' the 12 inch woofers to a great extent.

Must admit that I fancy giving a Krell amp a go - ime they excel on tricky loudspeaker loads when they become very musically capable - they do sound horrid on easy loads though ... I seem to recall reading a techy explaination for that somewhere, but can't remember what it was!

As such I am buying a Krell 400xi integrated to try on the Infinitys - I should get it on Monday!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    As such I am buying a Krell 400xi integrated to try on the Infinitys - I should get it on Monday!
    That explains the For Sale thread on the Bel Canto then!

<wanders off muttering> I will not be tempted... I will not be tempted... the serial box-swapper will not lead me astray!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Yep, thanks Anthony.

The Carys do surprisingly well and haven't yet run out of juice, although I've not been brave enough yet to push them to the full extent I sometimes want from my music (i.e. big orchestral at realistic levels) - but they clearly don't 'grip' the 12 inch woofers to a great extent.

Must admit that I fancy giving a Krell amp a go - ime they excel on tricky loudspeaker loads when they become very musically capable - they do sound horrid on easy loads though ... I seem to recall reading a techy explaination for that somewhere, but can't remember what it was!

hi jerry,
    if you ever see any of the big [old now] LUX amps for sale try one, [if you havent already] you may be surprised!.
    regards,anthony,TD...

I'm InSpace.

There's an Audio Analogue Maestro for sale 'elsewhere'... that WOULD grip those 12" drivers without any problems. Sounds wonderful, like a Krell but a lot sweeter. Even heavier too!

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm gone.

I had a demo of an AA Maestro a few years back - a mk2 I think - and it sounded a bit grainy and 'impure' to me.

Yes, I do fancy a big Luxman, though - def on my Want List.

Good user reports received from 'elsewhere' on the Krell 400xi (aside from the many rave reviews), I'll get to judge for myself on Monday, hopefully.

I'm InSpace.

Good user reports received from 'elsewhere' on the Krell 400xi (aside from the many rave reviews), I'll get to judge for myself on Monday, hopefully.
    I'm sure I've seen one of those for sale somewhere recently, too...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    I'm sure I've seen one of those for sale somewhere recently, too...
    You've probably got your premonition turned on, and are foreseeing my For Sale ad in a few months time when I start lusting over a big Luxman amp

I'm InSpace.

when I start lusting over a big Luxman amp
    You've already seen one... 'elswhere'!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm gone.

I've received a PM from a newbie about these speakers, but a PMed reply doesn't work, so I'll post it here.
    ___

Enjoyed your comments on your new speakers. I have recently inherited and restored my father's 2.5s purchased new in 1981. He did not purchase the external crossover and I was wondering if yours may be for sale?
    Hi

I do have the external crossover, but I have never used it (so it is untested).

I don't wish to sell it though, as that would diminish the value and sellability of the speakers should I decide to sell them on sometime.

Regards, Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12