+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling Mac experts...

I'm Gary.

Default Calling Mac experts...

Just went over to the dark side....bought a Mac.
    Lifelong windows user here since 3.1. Use 8.1 on my work machine, so no religious conversion here
    OS X Yosemite seems good to use and easy to get my windows boxes talking to the Mac.

Having recently got an IPad I'm realising how useful it can be as a work tool (and not just a fancy Jriver remote.
    For presenting custom Ebooks, 3D and graphic presentations the IPad is brilliant, but there was Mac only software that would be extremely useful for this..so took the plunge and got one.
    Also means I get my bedroom HTPC back, though Jriver for Mac isn't quite ready for prime time yet imo.
    Will install XBMC for this I think.

Anyway,
    Calling out to Mac experts that can hopefully guide me in a few things? Thanks!

. Can I "mirror" my iPad display through my Mac onto the big screen it's connected to?
    . I know Remote Desktop is possible, what's a good program for this? (Team viewer good on PC, Mac?)
    . What else can I do with an IPad / Mac together?

Thanks.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm andrew.

I'm Julian.

Hi Gary,

This should help with the Airplay mirroring -

http://ipadinsight.com/ipad-tips-tri...e-tv-or-a-mac/

How are you finding Yosemite? I'm using Mavericks but bottled out of installing Yosemite after reading some fairly harsh feedback on it ...

Enjoy.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm andrew.

Using Yosemite on both my MBP and Mini no issues at all.
    Andy.

I'm Roy.

I had issues with Mavericks, but I've had no problems at all with Yosemite, though I know others have had the opposite experience..

I'm Nodrog.

I'm still on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard?)

Does everything I need just perfik.

So I'm an expert on a system that you don't have - how helpful

I'm Neal.

The link Julian posted is a good one for Airplay mirroring, just make sure you have a stable WiFi connection It will drive you nuts if it keeps dropping out!

For VNC, there are load to choose from. You'll need to enable screen sharing on the Mac then download an app of your choice on the iPad, I use iTeleport, its not cheap but its been the most stable VNC app for me after trying many many others!

I'm sticking with Mavericks as well for now, not yet going to risk Yosemite just yet.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Neal.

One small Mac rant while I'm here: I installed an iMac yesterday for a customer, it came with Mavericks (latest version), Pages and Keynote all preinstalled. The guy had been sent an email with some documents attached created in Pages but on a Yosemite system...do you think that the installed version on his new iMac would open these Pages documents.....correct, like hell would it. The 'error' message told him to update to the latest version of the OS and then update Pages, I mean WTF.....this is where Apple get things seriously wrong IMHO... As he's a new user and I don't want to start confusing him (just moved from an old XP machine so this is all very new to him) he asked for the files in PDF
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Gary.

Thanks guys will look into those.

My first experience of using Macs so nothing to compare it with!
    All good though, like the way the Mac does things.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    One small Mac rant while I'm here: I installed an iMac yesterday for a customer, it came with Mavericks (latest version), Pages and Keynote all preinstalled. The guy had been sent an email with some documents attached created in Pages but on a Yosemite system...do you think that the installed version on his new iMac would open these Pages documents.....correct, like hell would it. The 'error' message told him to update to the latest version of the OS and then update Pages, I mean WTF.....this is where Apple get things seriously wrong IMHO... As he's a new user and I don't want to start confusing him (just moved from an old XP machine so this is all very new to him) he asked for the files in PDF
    I very much agree, a bit of backwards compatibility would be a good thing. Apple seem to assume that all their customers can either afford or want to update their machines / software all the time. I'm just glad I now have all the stuff that I think I need. We shall see!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast