+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic hi-fi components

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Loved the Onix!! I had one in the mid 80s and it was quite superb, much like a Sondex S230 I used a little later - both of those designs were veritable giant-killers and deserved much more commercial success than they achieved

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Onix - It makes me think of that little old shop at the bottom of Trafalgar Street in Brighton.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Loved the Onix!! I had one in the mid 80s and it was quite superb, much like a Sondex S230 I used a little later - both of those designs were veritable giant-killers and deserved much more commercial success than they achieved

Marco.
    Aye Sondex were great, very odd colour all the same..I think this firm was own by a Radford (Woodside) engineer, maybe wrong!

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Aye Sondex were great, very odd colour all the same..I think this firm was own by a Radford (Woodside) engineer, maybe wrong!
    Well I think the Mk IV Radford power amps (the last Radfords before the Woodsides) were made by Sondex

I'm Nobody.

Here's a 'BWD1' Tuner with 'SOAP' supply..gimmi gimmi yum yum

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Onix - It makes me think of that little old shop at the bottom of Trafalgar Street in Brighton.
    Tell me more Chris i keep finding Hifi manufacturers in the Brighton area including Eposure in North Steet Portslade, there used to be a valve amp manufacturer in Trafalger Steet i believe that produced some nice old kit and Audion used to be made in Lancing about a mile away from me, i found out what else they also made there as well but thats another story
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm ChrisB.

Tell me more Chris i keep finding Hifi manufacturers in the Brighton area including Eposure in North Steet Portslade, there used to be a valve amp manufacturer in Trafalger Steet i believe that produced some nice old kit and Audion used to be made in Lancing about a mile away from me, i found out what else they also made there as well but thats another story
    I think it was called 'Brighton Hi-Fi' & it was on the corner of Trafalgar Street & London Road. You got in from the Trafalgar Street entrance. I'm almost certain that the owner had a strong (ie ownership) connection with Onix. This would be mid-late 80's I guess.
    Around the corner & along London Road a bit for Jeffries Hi-Fi & then a little later on from Brighton Hi-Fi there was Gary's shop 'Melos' near the top of Trafalgar Street.

All 3 shops were within a spit of the North Lanes - and what were perhaps the richest pickings in secondhand vinyl in the UK! Jeezus, I'd like to see all the money I spent in that square mile or so all piled up in one place! It was my playground for years.

I'm Nobody.

Arnt Audionote spin offs Brighton?

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Audionote kit is made about 1 mile from my house in Lancing West Sussex, very good stuff but at very good prices
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Nobody.

QUAD '44'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast