+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Capella Headphone amp paired with the Caiman MKII Dac

I'm Rupert.

Post Capella Headphone amp paired with the Caiman MKII Dac

Good Evening All,

Just wanted people's opinions on how these 2 paired up sound etc? I have the Capella headphone amp which is a great bit of kit so considering purchasing the DAC to go with it and a external power source such as the one linked here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GSLRKJ...5UWAKDCD&psc=1

I'm currently leaning more towards the Caiman as it has been a great experience so far with Beresford but also considering the Schiit Bitforst Uber as I have read good things (any users would be great to hear your thoughts).

Many Thanks

Regards

Rupert
    Last edited by Harvey13; 09-12-2014 at 23:37.

I'm Richard.

Am I going mad... I thought Werner replied to this thread...?

Richard.

I'm Werner.

Richard,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Am I going mad... I thought Werner replied to this thread...?
    no need to worry about your mind, I actually did reply to this question, but shortly afterwards I deleted my answer because I have no hands-on experience with a second generation Beresford Caiman, which is what Rupert is asking for. Four or five years ago I replaced my first generation Caiman with a Schiit Bifrost the moment this DAC became available.

I never had a reason to compare a Caiman Mk II to the Bifrost, because I’m very satisfied with the Bifrost’s performance (even without the optional “Uber” upgrade), its build quality and its overall appearance. Considering this, I think a Beresford DAC might be a more suitable supplement when placed side by side to a Beresford headphone amplifier.

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 10-12-2014 at 13:19.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm tony.

I use a Bushmaster 2 with the Capella....it works very well. The ability to power both components from one DC power supply such as a car battery or quality psu is right up my street. The BM2 was modified by Stan to optimise it for battery power. The Caiman 2 is a better Dac sonically with built in USB.

I'm Steven.

Is using a single battery for the 2 devices only convenient or is the Capella (like the BM) optimised for battery power as well?

If it's not optimised, I can re-use my BotW 15V linear psu that is now collecting dust since I feed my BM2 with an Ankaka.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Wi View Post
    Is using a single battery for the 2 devices only convenient or is the Capella (like the BM) optimised for battery power as well?

If it's not optimised, I can re-use my BotW 15V linear psu that is now collecting dust since I feed my BM2 with an Ankaka.
    You can use battery, linear, or SMPS with the Capella. I use my Mark Grant linear PSU with the Capella on my main system. I am still trying to find my Lurcher Linear PSU to try that as well.

I'm tony.

Just feed both with the battery utilising the DC lead Stan supplies. The battery powers the Capella and the DC output from it powers the BM2.
    There is nothing stopping you use two separate power supplies but you will struggle to better a good battery.

I'm Rupert.

Good Afternoon,

thanks for the info Stan. Has anyone had the auto shut-down issue with the Anker battery (linked below) with the Caiman MK11 and Capella amp connected together?

Thanks

Rupert

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey13 View Post
    Good Afternoon,

thanks for the info Stan. Has anyone had the auto shut-down issue with the Anker battery (linked below) with the Caiman MK11 and Capella amp connected together?

Thanks

Rupert

....a very good question Rupert. I currently use the previous generation Anker battery with my Bushmaster MK2 only and have to use a split lead to grain of wheat bulb to avoid the auto cut out.

Later this month I hope to get hold of a Capella. I would think the extra current draw of the Capella will allow me to kick the bulb into touch. Stan - what is the current draw of the Capella ?
    Adam.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    You can use battery, linear, or SMPS with the Capella. I use my Mark Grant linear PSU with the Capella on my main system. I am still trying to find my Lurcher Linear PSU to try that as well.
    Thanks, my psu is the same as the Mark Grants so that should work.

So I guess it's a matter of personal taste which power source suits best.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast