+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just to give my update that PL-71 on ebay

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    .- -.-- . / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. / .-.. . .- -.. / .- / .... --- .-. ... . / - --- / .-- .- - . .-.
    That's a coincidence - we used to have one too but sadly the wheel fell off.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ah, I see... I'll be round tomorrow for the bake-off, then

You have a PM!

Marco.
    haha - see how even morse can get misinterpreted! My .. -. -.. . . -.. --..-- / -... ..- - / -. --- / -. . . -.. .-.-.- / .- / -. --- -.. / .. ... / .- ... / --. --- --- -.. / .- ... / .- / .-- .. -. -.- was in response to "WE COULD GET QUITE RUDE HERE"
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Steve.

Well it sold for £234 with 4 visible bids. A US one sold this week for £214.
    Both an absolute steal sound / flexibility wise for that kind of money imo.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Nah, a Planar 2 is a FAR better deck - a bod on PFM says so, so it must be right. He likes and owns Naim as well, so he's got taste..........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

I have a Planar 3 too and it's not too bad but it's no flight top deck.

I'm Dave.

I guess you're talking about the PL-71 I won on ebay yesterday.
    The total came to £262.99 inc shipping. Did I get ripped off?
    It was a bit more than I wanted to pay but that was mainly due to the £30 shipping.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the deck arrives in good nick then you haven't paid too much. I don't think a Rega would be as good by the way, and my comments above should be taken as a pee take to FE sensibilities....

The PL71 should be at least as good as any of the better mid-priced decks I reckon, such as the AR legend, LPT, Heybrook TT2 and Manticore Mantra from the eighties, just fussier on positioning. Make sure the switches and pitch control pots are clean and working correctly, as the speed accuracy goes out of the window if these controls are contaminated.

I'm Dave.

Thanks Dave, that puts my mind at rest.
    In what way is the PL-71 fussy about positioning? Or did you mean the PL-71 is less fussy? Sorry you lost me a bit on that sentence.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Ralph.

If you believe what the guy that DSJR is removing the urine from says your deck wont be at all fussy about positioning at all. According to his latest proclamation all hi-fi sounds better on the floor so just plonk it down anywhere and you're good to go.
    Just don't go and tread on it...

I'm David.

All of the lighter "solid plinth" decks like the Techie (in standard trim), the PL71 and all Regas need careful siting away from the speakers and on a sympathetic turntable support. Don't expect the PL71 to sound bright and incisive like the Roksan though, but you should get more "colour" from the music once it's set right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast