+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LP12 servicing

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If you go to a Linn dealer, you will pay the recommended, inflated price but you do get some of the magic fairy dust which magically improves the LP12 sound..
    Thanks Dave, I may well be in touch.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Thanks Mark. Where's Simon based?

http://www.audiot.co.uk/storefinder/brentwood/
    Simon is in Crowthorne in Berkshire.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pope View Post
    Simon is in Crowthorne in Berkshire.
    Thanks Mark, another option

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't know who's at Audio T in Brentwood now, but a founding manager/director of this branch is around the same age as me, although I don't know his exact Linn experience. Like me, hifi dave is an ex-Linn dealer and has set up a few hundred of the bloomin' things in his time

An LP12 setup really depends on the deck itself and when it was made. Pre 1982 ones were ALL totally different and this is where the setup 'religion' came from, as you needed different skills for each sample. As time went on, the decks became much more consistent in plinth manufacture and tools became available to make sure the bolts were parallel (I still have mine) as well as the traditional gas pipe to level the main bearing to the sub-chassis (you shouldn't do this with glued chassis'). The plinths made in the last twenty years are so much better than most made before this time and modern LP12's all but fall together I remember.

Sorry, but official Linn dealers often have a very inflated opinion of themselves (takes one to know one, so I'm not exaggerating here). Good luck It's still an involving listen, especially on iffy 1970's pop/rock pressings that a more 'neutral' player may show for what they are - IME.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

I agree that Linn dealers (certainly some of them) cloak the whole experience in a mystique that is not deserved - and charge to match. I have no issue with recommending ex Linn dealers if they use Linn bits (service bits are cheap enough) and are experienced.
    Account Deleted

I'm sorted.

Serial no. of mine is 50971 so if I understand what's on vinyl engine correctly that's post '82, pre '84 (got the original receipt somewhere).

Edit, found it, March '84 -

Last edited by Roy S; 03-12-2014 at 21:50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12