+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted/advice on speakers etc

I'm Paul.

Welcome Alan

I'm going to completely buck the trend here and advise against buying (very) old gear that may need attention. For your budget you can build a cracking system. If you want an up front sound that does rock well but other genres too, I'd advise on a new CDP and maybe even speakers which can be had discounted at some outlets (otherwise buy more recent speakers say under 15 years old), and the system I'd build would keep it nice and simple:

Amp: Stick to an integrated. Mixed bag pre-power combos are fraught with pitfalls and ultimately are more expensive. There's nothing to be gained by using the fashion (?) for a passive pre with an old power amp. One of the best integrated amoplifiers on a budget which will compete with even a decent mid range amp today is the Denon PMA355UK. This offers 50wpc into an 8 Ohm load, uses very high quality components, has a really decently designed circuit a really decent power supply and even comes with remote control for ultimate convenience. It sounds great too and won loads of awards shortly after its release some years back. As a bonus, it also has a half reasonable phono stage and a headphones socket. It's a cracking amp and highly unlikely due to the quality and rating of components used, to need much, if any attention if you buy a minter on Ebay. Cost is around £100 used...utter bargain;

CD. No contest. Avoid the upgrade and kit swapping and go straight for a new Rega Appollo R. Does it all very well indeed and has a very analogue presentation. Cost £550 to £600.

That leaves £800 for speakers and cables.

For the speakers, again, avoid older boxes that will likely need crossover refurbs (electrolytic capacitors in many over 15 years old wil be shot). Newer ones used which would suit your tastes and should work well in an average room would include the Proac Studio 140 (sells well used too), the Q Acoustics 2050i are a reasonably well designed set which will boogie on a budget really well as will the Dali Icon 5 (used), KEF Q500. Any of these would meet your needs. If you aim at used, £400 to £600 will buy one of these.

That leaves enough for speaker cable (just buy some 1.5mm diameter OFC multistrand terminated with Z plugs to begin with or Van Damme tour cable, or the inexpensive Black Rhodium twist (I put my hands in the air and say that I sell this but that's not why I'm recommending it!) and buy some screened interconnects. Look for reasonable quality plugs (avoid cheap and nasty ones as if there has to be a signal connection, it matters to make it a good one).

You'll then have a system which rocks for the budget, will give you the detail you're after (without making your ears bleed) and each of the components will be dead easy to move on second hand if and when you decide to upgrade.

I'm Alan.

Thank you very much for your replay frank, much appreciated, I'm having a look at those you mentioned on eBay. Your a big help
    I will also have a look at what you mentioned tony

I'm Geoff.

A simple question with so many possible answers.

Frank and Paul have both given good advice. A Denon amplifier is always a good start, PMA-250SE, PMA-255, PME-350SE or PMA-355. They each offer a good starting point, sound decent and are reliable.

CD player? Buy new! A good make though.

Speakers? Keep it simple. A good two way compact standmounting type will give you all you need. (I'm picking up a pair of Usher S520 speakers myself shorty, as a back up to my system. A pair of those would suit you fine and work well with a Denon amp)

Cables? Something reputable. Second hand is usually good if you want to save money. (avoid QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

OK, it's what I sell but I sell only what I like and what I believe in so - Rega Apollo-r with Rega Brio-r.

I don't know of anything better at anywhere near the price. The basis of a great system which will give you music for many years.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by allya View Post
    Cheers hi fi Dave, sounds great just Exeter is a bit far away from yorkshire
    Essex much closer to Yorkshire, although hardly next door
    For that crazy price I'd think about the journey, perhaps a visit to Dave might sort you out with everything.
    Minimum is lots of info and food for thought
    edit
    and if it's Rega Dave has it in stock !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    For that crazy price I'd think about the journey, perhaps a visit to Dave might sort you out with everything.
    Agree worth considering if you have transport.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Craig.

I would also steer clear of old CD players, especially the Pioneer stable platter ones.

I've tried to buy 2 in the past, and both failed!

Lots of good advice written here already, so just choose which suggestion floats your boat, but if you do want to play CD's, some time ago it was the thing to buy a cheap DVD player, and hook it up to a DAC, a Bereford for example, the results saw off a number of higher priced stand alone CDP's.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Tony.

I've been down the 'old Jap seventies amp and tuner' road, not worth the bother IMO.

I've just picked up a Denon PMA-720AE integrated amp with a phono stage and a headphone amp for £115 posted from one of the forums or you can buy them on e-bay with 12 months warranty for £149 plus £10 postage (I think) sold as 'manfacturer refurbished'.

I hooked my Firebottle phono amp up to my son's old ancient Sony integrated amp last week, his TT is a cheap Stanton DD DJ deck with a DJ cart and his speakers are Focal floorstanders, and it sounded fantastic.

The Sony cost me £30 plus postage from a member on here last year.

Tony

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12