+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ad finitum...

I'm Simon.

Default Ad finitum...

Ok, they still look crap but standing the motor of the base makes me wonder about noise issues.
    In all honesty if I can ever getting round to making one that looks like shop bought, I'll probably flog
    my Oracle. Unfortunately my collection of top arms and cartridges had to go ( boringly one has to eat)
    but the latest couple with the wta and an old Goldring I found in the drawer really have me playing more vinyl
    than is usual!

No sure I could be arsed with all this to redo the belter photos pita:-(

I'm Simon.

Bit of a revelation re the last two pictured.
    The tattier looking brown one was only given the arm & cartridge to make sure it sounded ok compared to my 'good one' in the last photo.
    Sounds way better to my ears and the differences in construction are minimal.

scabby one? has:

Different arm board material
    A heavier base filled with some sand
    The pillars (read threaded rod) supports are clamped directly to the wooden base
    as opposed to passing thru a metal plate screwed to the base
    the halved 'superballs' between layers point down instead of up from the base
    it sits on heavy plastic levelling feet as opposed to threaded spikes

the cream one has a better bearing and a quieter motor, I haven't even tightened the armbase up
    and yet I knew within two bars of the first album that the brown one sounded better than the other one

even tempted to take the Kuzma/Koetsu of the Oracle and juggle things so it can play thru my good
    phonostage, ah sod it, too much faff, having to much fun just listening
    Last edited by Si74; 21-11-2014 at 18:45. Reason: spelling

I'm Simon.

Different arm board material and a tweaking to the height of the motor and strength of the rubber band
    have closed the gap. The rubber band replaces the metal spring that pulls the idler against the drive
    shaft of the motor.
    Weird how such things alter the sound. Must get around to trying the hanging weight and pulley mod

By the way, just realised I should probably posted all this stuff in the picture your idler drives bit?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    Different arm board material and a tweaking to the height of the motor and strength of the rubber band
    have closed the gap. The rubber band replaces the metal spring that pulls the idler against the drive
    shaft of the motor.
    Weird how such things alter the sound. Must get around to trying the hanging weight and pulley mod

By the way, just realised I should probably posted all this stuff in the picture your idler drives bit?
    do you want it moved there Simon?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

If you think it would be more appropriate Struth, that would be fine.
    I was in a posting frenzy and don't want accused of hogging the place

+ Reply to Thread