+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Bigger bottom wanted - subwoofer thoughts?

I'm Martin.

What cut off do you use with ESL63s ?

I'm Martin.

Hmm, I'm not sure how much of a success this is.
    I've rolled the cut off down, and in many ways it seems to integrate quite well with the esl63s, but:
    - I now hear a much greater difference between CD and SACD (probably not a bad thing, as SACDs generally sound great, although CD seems much "flatter" sounding than before).
    - especially with CD, the top end sounds "rougher" than without the subwoofer running.
    I'm using the speaker level input, taken direct from the output of the 606 as shewn in the manual.
    More listening to do, I think.
    Last edited by eisenach; 18-12-2014 at 22:30.

I'm Richard.

Martin

I have zero phase, about 45-50hz cut-off, and 1/3 volume (quite close to a wall, not really in a corner). I am listening mostly on vinyl, but my dac is very vinyly sounding too. Have only just started experimenting with other file formats (no HDCD on my Dac, and even for me, pretty unlikely I can source a filter). Will be trying higher bit rate FLAC's once my Raspberry Pi streamer is fully operational.

"Not too much" is the basic advice. The key is to get used to it at "not too much" so you think its not there, and then turn it off, and realise what you were missing

I'm Martin.

Thanks, Richard.
    Your set up sounds very similar to what I've settled on so far; I've probably got it turned down a bit less.
    Had a good listen to various things today, including Radio 3. Most of the time you don't notice it's there, but every now and again, you realise how good the bass is. The jazz on R3 was very good this afternoon.
    There are also downsides; suddenly the passing traffic outside Kings College is very intrusive, rather than just there, and the underground trains on some old Kingsway Hall recordings make the floor shake !
    I'm about 85% convinced so far.
    Martin

I'm Alex.

I'm using a similar setup with my xxls400, which has the 24db/octave option. Cut off set to 40-50hz, volume about 1/3, phase 0 degrees.

The position is right in a corner, which I think is not ideal in my room as it does excite some room modes, but the balance is mostly about right. I am limited in my positioning options, and am considering an antimode DSP to improve overall frequency response smoothness.

Bass certainly goes very low, sounds clean and integrates well with my main speakers. Overall I'm very pleased, and I think the XXLS400 is excellent value for money - lets not forget that this is the price of a mains lead for interconnect for some of us!.

It is interesting how low frequency sounds often seem to reveal more of the ambience of a recording for some reason, and it is always fun to discover LF effects in recordings that you missed before.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Ben.

Default Bigger bottom wanted - subwoofer thoughts?

An interesting thread... Anyone here tried the ATC C1 sub and/or compared it with other subs? I have a pair of ATC SCM-11s powered by Hypex Ncore monoblocks and am considering a sub to accompany...
    Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I'm Kevin.

I am now more interested in this thread than before.
    Currently I have an MJ Acoustics Pro 50 sub connected up with my Frugels just to cope with the real low stuff. It seems to work well.
    I am thinking of adding a 2nd sub, but can't find an MJ Acoustics dealer in France, but BK seem to sell them here through eBay.
    The Gemini seems to be the closest match. Would this be a good idea, or should I track down a later model MJ Acoustucs Pro 50. I doubt I could find a Mk1 like I have.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alex.

Depends what your budget is.. I think the idea of stereo subs is a good one, and makes it very much easier to integrate them properly with the room and the speakers. I am wondering where I could put a second XXLS400 without my wife knowing .

It may well be that you could add a dissimilar sub in a different part of the room and get a lot of benefit. I love my XXLS400 because it is really hard to hear that it's working - maybe consider that as a 2nd sub to work alongside your MJ Pro 50?
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011