+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SME 309

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    I'm told the SME prices are going up by the following: arms 10%. Model 10, 4%. '20 series decks' 10%. '30 series' decks, 7%. I believe those prices are accurate, but I can't guarantee it. I think the price rises come in February.
    The smaller rise for the model 10 makes we wonder if they have chosen to keep the current model, because the gap between the 10 and 20 now 'stretches', potentially leaving a gap for a new model with three point suspension (model 15?). That is just speculation on my part, but I hope the current Model 10 does stay, as people do like the simplicity.
    One other thing, the factory is no longer going to supply dealers with the arms minus the armlead. From now on, they have to buy the complete package. So anyone planning to buy the arm, minus lead, from a dealer, would be wise to get a move on.
    I assume that in the longer term, retail price rises will have an impact on second-hand prices, but not immediately. I would guess that the quite large price increases are related to the strength of the pound. So many sales are overseas.
    The Model 15 has been confirmed...at about £5,400 without arm. So the Model 10 does stay in the range. Good dedcision surely. the price rises are on February 1st, the new Model 15, with three-point suspension, in April. So, if yoiu are planning to buy an SME product, before February will save money. And if you are planning to sell an SME product, could be worth waiting until the higher prices are reflected on the second-hand market.

I'm Neil.

The SME 309 is a lovely arm, which can be upgraded re the addition of a fluid damping trough. Early one wasn't magnesium nor VDH wired (better than the newer one less damped. and more open sounding), though it came with a VDH arm-cable (yuck), don't use the VDH arm cable get something better otherwise you wont hear the arm fully imho.

I can't get over the price now 3 times what I paid for mine back in the day - if I recall right I paid £550.

Vastly superior to a Rega RB300 but in saying that synergy is all and a great arm can be bettered by a poorer one if the poorer arm complements the turntable better than the dearer one. Point in case back then I had a Voyd Valdi, RB300 and a VDH MC10. I upgraded to an SME 309 but it wasn't an upgrade, it sounded much worse. An Oracle Delphi mk four came along I fitted the 309 to it, worked brilliantly together and got shot of the Valdi and RB300.

Thing is while the RB300 is a good arm its not in my experience better than an SME 309.

Regards Neil

I'm Rob.

Thanks for the advice, I shall be looking out for a 309
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Steve.

I always thought SME's were the dogs until i put a Jelco on my Lenco. You get an awful lot for your money and at the inth of SME money. Just sayen!

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I always thought SME's were the dogs until i put a Jelco on my Lenco. You get an awful lot for your money and at the inth of SME money. Just sayen!
    Steve, I have a 750D (Oyaide headshell, Shuggie collar, Isokinetic counterweight, Yannis Tome wiring). I have been toying with the idea of an 'upgrade' to a SME M2-9 when funds allow. Have you compared those two?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm David.

100% Agree

I'm Adam.

It's quite true - the Jelco SA-750D is a magnificent device. It's still not as good as an SME 309, though. IMHO, of course!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12