+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube noob

I'm David.

If you can build it yourself, the World Designs stuff is superb; all from one of the very best designers in the business - Andy Grove. If not, the Icon is a good place to start. With entry level tube stuff it's essential to get a good amp-speaker match, which means you'll need speakers with an efficiency of *at least* 89dB; 91dB-plus is more in the comfort zone. Forget about anything less; they'll sound like (to use Edmund Blackadder's description of Baldrick) an asthmatic ant...

I'm Stephen.

Default But which valves?

The other thing to consider is what valves to use inside the amp when you have decided on make/model - for preamps/preamp section the choice makes a huge difference and can totally change the sound. Most use a pair of ECC83 variants for the phono stage and an ECC81 variant for the line stage - most new amps will come with new valves which tend not to be as good as older ones - I note Icon Audio offer new old stock options which are generally to be preferred. For a superb overview take a look at http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/ECC83.htm
    and if you are considering punting a few quid definitely take a look at:
    http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/ECC83-part-numbering1.html

After mucho trial and error in my Croft Vitale I finally settled on a pair of NOS 1970's vintage TESLA E83CC's for the phono stage (better than the 1959 TFK 12AX7's I was using) and an Uber rare 1958 Telefunken ECC801S for the line stage. The TESLA/TFK's give an very fast detailed sound with stunning highs, if you prefer a warmer tone then suggest you go for Mullard equivilants (original Tung Sol are in the middle in "tone terms"). Believe me if you think choosing a valve amp is tricky wait till you start choosing the valves to go in it
    Last edited by worrasf; 20-08-2009 at 19:58.

I'm Jason.

Default Not so noob now...

Well, I took the plunge and got a Yaqin MC10l from the dreaded 'Bay - but not from a HK importer. This was s/h from a nice chap in Wales, and as he was holidaying near me he offered a weeks' trial with no strings...

Suffice to say it's still here. Now I'm not for one minute saying it's the last word in amps, but for the £175 I paid for it it's a BIG step up from the NAD I was using before, and I figured if I didn't like it I wasn't going to lose a whole lot selling it on.

Build quality seems fine (at least externally; I haven't taken it's clothes off yet) and it is a 240v version. I can't check heater voltages but there are no untoward signs of excessive glowing from the valves.

Sound wise - well given that this is a standard one with stock valves, it betters the NAD considirably. It's a wierd sensation listening to valves for the first time - a much fuller sound, smoother BUT with far more detail. It's hard to quantify, but doing an AB with the NAD using Terry Callier's excellent TimePeace album, the sense of realism of individual instruments was far more palpable. Timbre, definition and placement have all been bettered. Soundstage has expanded and is a far more rounded presentation, forward and back as well as extending beyond the speakers. And yes, I'm hearing details that I haven't heard before!!

The Techhie is sounding very sweet through it too, it's a good match for the 103 (now nuded) and vinyl in general - especially older pre 80s recordings, although having just blasted out the first half of Colour of Spring by Talk Talk that's not a hard and fast rule - as an aside that's an all analogue album with lots of tubes used in the recording, and a must have for an example of a top-notch vinyl pressing, as well as being a bloody good album!

My other half (who isn't in to hifi) instantly commented that 'it's like a round sphere compared to a flat disc' in terms of presentation. Fortunately she thinks valves look very funky too...

So now I need to look for a new set of valves (they're spares darling, honest!) to hopefully better the stock chinese ones; I'm kicking myself 'cos I missed a set of four Svetlana Winged Cs for £50 but could do with some advice on what to look for; I'd like something a little more open and bright that stock, but will the power valves or input ones make the most difference? Input are 6n1's BTW - not common AFAICMO and there is some dissent about what can be used as a straight substitute.

So any comments welcome; I feel I may have just embarked on a slippery slope...

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

Jason.

The trouble with tube recommendations is, that what sounds great in someone elses amp may not be the same in yours.
    You really need to find someone with the same amp, who has been there before you and found some combinations that work.

I'd be especially wary of anything advertised as a replacement for 6n1.
    If you want a wider choice of input valves, i would consider putting the amp in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, and see what they suggest.

I have a quad of Electro Harmonix EL34 that you are welcome to try. They were ok-ish in an old push pull amp, but i find them a bit boring in my single ended.
    It might help you cross some off your list.

I used to quite like JJs in my World Designs PP amp, but i 've not heard any lately.
    EH 6ca7 might be an alternative, and are my current favourites of the sensibly priced tubes..
    It could be an expensive game to keep buying quads in the hope of finding some nice ones.
    Last edited by alb; 07-09-2009 at 22:33.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12