+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New speakers to match Musical Fidelity M61 amp

I'm gone.

Double post - weird!

See below.
    Last edited by jandl100; 17-11-2014 at 09:05.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by peter haynes View Post
    Hello all

Looking for advice on floorstanding speakers to go with MF 6i amp.

A few months ago I replaced my old damaged speakers with Dali Zensor 5's - then a month ago splashed out on MF 6i amp - was next going to replace Marantz cd63 mk 2 KI sig cd player, but consensus seems to be that the speakers need to be replaced next (advice on how to tell wife 2 month old speakers no good also appreciated !!)

Going to have to sell/trade in Dali's to help pay for new speakers - total budget incl trade in is prob £1k max

Listen to all sorts of music but generally rock - Zep, Sabbath, Wildhearts, rammstein etc etc(see my welcome entry for more)

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me folks

Peter

I'm a bit lost here, Peter.

You don't appear to say what you find wrong with your Dali speakers ... without that it's a bit like pinning the tail on the donkey blindfold!

What are you looking for in your new speakers?

And what sort of sound are you after anyway?

- what systems/speakers have you heard that you like better, and why?

Go on, give us a clue!

--- my guess, though, given your choice of electronics, is that you like a ballsy, dynamic, upfront sound and the fairly small Dali speakers aren't up to delivering that. Is that right?

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by peter haynes View Post
    Thanks to all for your input - sadly, life is a bit more complicated on the Isle of Wight and to arrange a home demo here would be the same as you folks on mainland sorting out a trip to the moon!!(we have lived here 14 years now and next year a move back to the mainland is being planned)
    It is always good to get lots of opinions and as always in my view- what is good and what is bad is very subjective.
    Health issues prevent me from travelling much for the next 6 months so auditions at say Southampton are also out - the plus side is I have 6 months of doing very little other than listening to music . I therefore will have to buy 'blind' if i am to attempt to improve sound.
    Thanks again to all for the debate
    Cheers
    Peter
    I feel for you Peter, I really do.

I will proffer my opinion now and see if it helps.

The Marantz CD player is fine in the RIGHT system, the MF amp is fine in the RIGHT system and the Dali speakers are fine in the RIGHT system, but unfortunately I don't think they live in perfect harmony within one system - as you are no doubt finding out.

I will take a stab at getting you on track without costing an arm and a leg in the process.

My first choice then is to replace the Marantz player with a Pioneer PD-10K which has a more sophisticated sound than the Marantz in my opinion and as a bonus plays SACDs too. Available on ebay for less than £150 and I'm sticking my neck out by saying this, it could change the sound enough to leave it at that. Hard to make other people's choices for them.

Musical Fidelity is not my favourite marque to be honest, having been disappointed with the models I've had in the past. Had experience with Dali speakers myself and the Suite 2.8s are still my favourite speakers and would have them again if I had the room like I used to have. Had the Dali Ikon 5s and they were pants with an undersized bass driver married to a double tweeter arrangement in a small enclosure, yet the Ikon 6 model was awesome.

If it were me then, I would change the amplifier to something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astin-Trew...item1e950463ea which I say will outperform the MF and put a shilling or two back in your pocket selling the MF

I could be wrong of course, but the Pioneer and Astin Trew pairing at the front end MIGHT change your perceptions of the Dali speakers, because I don't think there is anything intrinsically "wrong" with them and driven differently they could sound a lot better.

What's also missing from the puzzle in your query is what cabling are you using? That could have a bearing on the sound as well.

I'm Josie.

I had the Dali Helicon 800 MKII's once upon a time, 7k's worth and they were brill. I did manage to use them with my MF X-A200 monos and found that the match wasn't good. I then tried a Chord amp and it was like chalk and cheese, the Chord was much better.

I'm John.

I know (and asked) quite a few people that use MF gear in this part of the world; Proacs, Spendors and, to a lesser extent, Kef and Wilson Benesch seem to be their speakers of choice. One of them has had great results with Sonus Faber speakers, moving from the Grand Piano to the Toy towers.

I'm Craig.

I paired my MF to PMC FB1+, they sounded good together.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Dave.

The KEF R series might suit you...well worth a listen...

I'm peter.

Default Marantz cd player

[QUOTE=Marco;597277]A bit strong, Dave, no? Good job that Peter’s not the ‘precious’ type, when it comes to his kit!

I dont mind at all what people think about my kit - that is why I joined to hear some views about all sorts of kit. Actually, I've got to agree with Dave - should never have bought it in first place. Had it about 10 years now but it will be ggone by next year
    Thanks again for input
    Peter

I'm peter.

Cable Tale 3 speaker wire
    Cable talk professional interconnects - both some 15/16 years old

I'm peter.

Default Dalis

Thanks for response Jerry
    Actually I find the Dalis a bit too upfront + would like more detailed bass and deeper and a smoother sound
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast