+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Science has failed me. Fairies needed

I'm Richard.

Default Help. Science has failed me. Fairies needed

Oh the joy of intermittent faults

Yesterday we went to the "Making of Harry Potter" in Watford - Fascinating exhibition - great fun, lovely butterbeer. But clearly Voldermort or one of the Death Eaters cursed us. We decided instead of going out for a meal as originally planned we would rush back and start the Potter blurays from the beginning.

And were thwarted

The 52" LED TV was showing a ghost image. I tried the science approach but I think only a wizards or witches curse explains it. It is 18 months into a 5 year warranty, so no problem getting it repaired. If its broken. My sisters "man" is an engineer and runs a business repairing TV's and AV equipment (John Lewis are one of their customers who subcontract their warranty work to them). So I'll ask Graham his thoughts later.

Switched off the Quad ESL's. Switched off the whole of the Hifi. Unplugged the dimmer standard lamp on the same ring (Heaven only knows why - they'd all been there for the last 450 days in which the TV had worked faultlessly, but you get funny thoughts don't you)

Unplugged the sole input - an HDMI from the AV amp into which all other inputs are plugged. Unplugged at the TV end. Problem still there (there is an internal image of the inside of a Grand Piano when there is no signal on the chosen input)

So sulked and watched TV in the Dogs room on the 32" - but wished we'd gone out for a meal as planned

This morning, I dig out the warranty paperwork, and wonder if the fault is specific to that one input. Switch on the TV to move it to another input (I had turned it on and off 3 times last night, including a 10 minute physical disconnect from the power), and - you guessed it. Working perfectly this morning.

Just try convincing me that these things are not alive and have no soul. Clearly it was posessed!

Any ideas?

I'm jeff.

So sorry you can't justify a new one now !

I'm Kevin.

Is it connected to a balanced mains transformer thingymajig?

Maybe it was just a poor connection, and all your work has just remade the connection properly?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Deleted.

User error.
    Account Deleted

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    User error.
    That's too easy, I think it's possessed

Leakage from the tuner section? Was there a program on at the time showing the inside of a grand piano?
    Maybe the video switching circuit wasn't quite in the right state.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Grant.

sounds like a luminance problem. dont be surprised if it happens again.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm paul.

Hum Harry Potter eh,
    Perhaps your telly just has good taste
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by naitphile View Post
    So sorry you can't justify a new one now !
    Trouble is I have a 5 year warranty. If its broken - a man will come and take it away and mend it or replace it and bring it back. But its not broken - as of right now

Alan - no the TV has an inbuilt picture of a piano. It was a ghost of whatever the picture was -so no input produced a ghosting piano - input produced a ghost of what ever the input was (Strictly come dancing at the time of testing)

I suspect Struth may be the man here. I don't mind it happening again - as long as it stays happened long enough to have it karted off and mended.

I'll call Graham after lunch
    Last edited by Macca; 16-11-2014 at 12:51. Reason: Thinly veiled and scurrilous attack on a manufacturer

I'm Geoff.

If it happens again take a photo!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If it happens again take a photo!
    Spot on. Exactly the advice Graham has just given me. He's pretty sure he knows what it is, and its a board called a T-Con board apparrantly (next time I'm over his way he'll show me). Could be the connector. But his advice was that under warranty if I have a photo they will replace the panel and that will cover the ancillary items as well. Quite common apparantly. It is , of course, working perfectly at the moment.

Maybe Harry and Hermione have cast a counter-spell ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast