+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firebottle MM plus - a modest attempt at a review

I'm MYLES.

Francois, some other manufacturers should commission you to comment on their equipment. Excellent stuff.

Now, which kidney will fetch £399?

I'm Francois.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Many thanks for the review Francois

You do have an eloquence to your writing and it is very interesting that you include details of your music choice.

One minor point to clarify the situation is the MC/MM version is £499 but doesn't need any expensive SUTs.

Alan
    Oouuups, sorry Alan…
    I will update right now!
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Darren.

Hi Francois, your mailbox is full. Thanks for sending it, will let you know when I receive it (I won't be home tomorrow but should be able to pick it up on Monday) and post my findings.

Cheers!
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Francois.

Cheers Darren,

Thanks for letting me know.

Best

ps. inbox has been cleared BTW.
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by myles View Post
    Francois, some other manufacturers should commission you to comment on their equipment. Excellent stuff.

Now, which kidney will fetch £399?
    My Kidney's wouldn't fetch £3.99 except as a curio
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Doing some mods on my Firebottle today.
    Alan was kind enough to send me what I need to boost the gain in the MC stage.
    My Dynavector cart outputs only 0.28 Mv so needed to set volume on my amp pretty high.

New valve, couple of resistors jobs a good 'un.
    Looking forward to sitting down tonight and playing some vinyl.

Top notch service and ongoing support from Alan.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Many thanks for the review Francois

You do have an eloquence to your writing and it is very interesting that you include details of your music choice.

One minor point to clarify the situation is the MC/MM version is £499 but doesn't need any expensive SUTs.

Alan
    I am intrigued sir.
    Could you possibly post a series of photographs showing your range of units along with a price guide.
    Or could you post a link to your site please?

I'm Gary.

No SUT required as Alan says, my Dynavector cart worked great with it as is, I just wanted some extra gain as the XX2 cart is extremely low output, less than normal.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alan.

Box I have no site, see http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...e-phono-preamp, particularly posts 6 and 14.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankyc2003 View Post
    Good evening all,

Since I have been back on this very forum, I have been contacted by a few of its lovely members, and I would like to say thank you everyone for their support.
    Among all, Alan (Firebottle) very kindly offered to send me one of his brand new phonostages. I remember fondly reviewing one of his prototypes a long time ago, so I guess it was high time to catch up with an old friend. It was, at a the time reviewed in direct comparison with a Ming Da 2006 MC, a all singing and dancing Chinese valve phonostage. And it did very, very well against it's Far East competitor.

So, the brand new version turned up yesterday at work. Straight from France. It is very well packed and the delivery was super fast and smooth.

Here we have the FIREBOTTLE PLUS MM. It comes with it's small PSU, a dinky plug that goes directly at the back of the unit from your favorite distribution block.

After chatting with Alan, I decided to review a MM version as I don't own a MC cartridge anymore. One could go for the MM/MC version if required. My preference would be to use a MM with a good quality MC step Up transformers to get the best results from a high end MC, but having the choice of both in the same handy box is very attractive.

A modded Lenco GL69 with a Audio Note Arm One and a MM Audio Note IQ3 will be used. And this time it will be penned against the fantastic Tellurium Q Iridium solid state phonostage. Also new in the system is a Silver Night 300B from Audion (vintage 1996). Speakers used are as per usual the lovely Fostex 206E based horn built by Rob (Puffin). Cables are LAT SS-1000 MKII.

What strikes me first is the very high level of craftsmanship involved in this new iteration. Its feels solid (no pun intended), sturdy and very well designed. I have a black finish version, which looks very understated and will feel at home in any rack I believe. High WAF! The back of the unit is very well laid out, simple and efficient.

You will easily find the input, output, ground and power plug. the valve compliment is as follow.

Not your usual 12AX7 then. It probably doesn't make tube rolling so easy, but knowing Alan, I am sure those valves have been chosen for very specific reasons. Anyway, I am pretty sure that one can find multiple variations on those valves supplied.

Well, it's time to fire those lovely bottles isn't it?
    I like to give the a bit of warming up prior to any listening....

(to be continued)
    Hi Franky,

Your review was fascinating I enjoyed your flow of writing and the fair and truth filled way you wrote it.

Write some more soon please.

It a shame that TQ are not going to make anymore of the Atom, Listen or Phono mini amps.

Best wishes

Col

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast