+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from kent

I'm Roy.

Default Newbie from kent

Hello all, and thanks for having me here.

I've had a break from the world of hifi for a while now, but am now able to start dabbling again. I've a rather unusual mish-mash of gear as my Roksan Kandy mk1 amp and cd player has been joined by some gear inherited from my dad, which includes a (faulty) Gyrodec with Alphason H100S arm, Audio Innovations series 500 amp, and his vintage gear which consists of a Garrard 301, SME 12" arm and Ortofon SPU cartridge together with a Leak stereo 20, varislope preamp and troughline tuner.

I'm just trying to decide which gear to go forwards with, and whether to get the vintage kit serviced and brought back into use. The Gyrodec seems to have a faulty motor so I'm waiting to hear from Michell about having that sorted.

Music tastes are eclectic, from punk to classical !

I'm Geoff.

Hello Roy. Welcome to AOS.

You have some nice gear in your collection. Some of which I've owned. What speakers are you using?

If you're planning any changes to your system, we'd like to hear about them. Plenty of Michell fans here, so if you need advice, I'm sure somebody can help.

Please post some pictures in our Gallery section. Photos are always popular.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

synsei Guest

Welcome to AoS Roy, that is a very nice collection of gear you have there sir

I'm Grant.

Welcome to AoS Roy. 2 top TT's ,lucky you! When you get some time open a thread in the gallery section and let us see your kit. We love pics here.
    Any problems just ask.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Roy.

I'll post some pics up soon then - I'm currently using some Monitor Audio RS6 speakers, but also have Dad's Quad bookshelf speakers tucked away.

I'm James.

Welcome mate, where in Kent are you as I'm in sunny Maidstone?
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Welcome mate, where in Kent are you as I'm in sunny Maidstone?
    Not far away, I'm in Rainham.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Roy.

That's some nice vintage gear you have there! We would love to see some photos.

The Audio Innovations 500 is an excellent amp, so too is the Leak Stereo 20. The Leak Troughline is well thought of in some quarters, but the Leak Varislope preamp is now very dated (as are all preamps of the mid '60s). I would recommend you replace it with one of the Croft range of preamps, or, since the Stereo 20 has a high sensitivity, you could investigate using a passive device such as the Music First transformer volume control units.

Welcome again - enjoy the forum.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-11-2014 at 02:00.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Hi Roy, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Josie.

Hey Roy.

Welcome matey... Very nice kit you have there. Certainly get the vintage kit serviced, For the Leak I'd suggest Classique Sounds. Top bloke and reallym knows his leaks and onions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast