+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thorens td160 , info please

I'm David.

right
    i have today changed the baring oil taken, out the black bits of foam and removed the bits of foam out from within the suspension springs. i have also set up the cartridge to smething referning to baerwald

it sounds better ... more bass is the most noticable thing and the treble sounds less jangley

the one thing i have only just noticed is there is no ground wire ... but it doesnt seem to hum much more than the xerxes ... stupidly i didnt even think about this in the exitment of getting a new deck... im now confused about this can anyone shed any light on this?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    right
    i have today changed the baring oil taken, out the black bits of foam and removed the bits of foam out from within the suspension springs. i have also set up the cartridge to smething referning to baerwald

it sounds better ... more bass is the most noticable thing and the treble sounds less jangley

the one thing i have only just noticed is there is no ground wire ... but it doesnt seem to hum much more than the xerxes ... stupidly i didnt even think about this in the exitment of getting a new deck... im now confused about this can anyone shed any light on this?
    The metal work is probably grounded via the screen of the cables attached to the pickup arm. These are then connected to the metalwork/case/chassis of the amplifier, which is earthed. All Thorens decks that I know of (though I only have direct experience of the TD124, 125 and 150) use a two core mains cable.
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

As above. If you look on the terminal block the signal wires solder up to, there'll be a little wire link from the central chassis connection to one of the signal screens (the right channel I think). If your soldering's up to it, you could cut the link and solder a fresh and separate earth wire to the central chassis earth point on this terminal block. Some new signal wires could be considered at some point too - I use and recommend Van Damme "Pro-Patch" mic cable and it works well for this application.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

cheers guys...
    its been a proper learing curve with this deck! im now unsure weather to keep fiddleing or sell it before i break it so i can afford a techie???
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

A standard Techie may not be that much better than a good working TD160, but obviously, there are many large tweaks which leap-frog the Technics into a different league altogether...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    A standard Techie may not be that much better than a good working TD160, but obviously, there are many large tweaks which leap-frog the Technics into a different league altogether...
    thats no problem, i still have the xerxes for proper hifi listening (until i get a techie to sound beter!)

i just did a direct comparison between the xerxes and 160 ... im not going to go into to it, but since i have had the 160 i havent used the xerxes ... i turns out i forgot just how awesome the xerxes is

I'm David.

That's good to know - kinda puts a perspective on things. The Xerxes sounded livelier than the LP12 at the time - and I reckon that the more natural and honest the system, the better the Roksan would sound and the worse the Linn would perform..

I'd expect a fully modified Techie to add slam and scale to what the Roksan does..

I'm David.

good news! "slam" is something I have always thought the xerces lacks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12