+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Valve pins

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The idea of not handling the glass of valves with bare fingers, is to prevent leaving any greasy finger prints on the glass. Such grease marks can cause the glass to crack when it heats up.
    Yes, I'm aware that's said. But isn't it because the skin's grease (sweat) is acidic and micro etches the glass surface causing weaknesses?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Well fingers crossed, I used the 'coke method' last night and also filed the pins with a nail file to clean them, and so far so good, my amp seems to be working fine now
    Last edited by twotone; 02-11-2014 at 19:10.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes, I'm aware that's said. But isn't it because the skin's grease (sweat) is acidic and micro etches the glass surface causing weaknesses?
    I think it is more a question of differential expansion of the glass: the fingerprints create 'cold spots'. However this faliure mode is extremely rare, to the point that it is not usually mentioned, just as it is not neccessarily suggested you handle incandescent tungsten light bulbs with gloved hands.

Halogen bulbs as used in car headlights and projectors run at much higher temperatures. These should not be handled with bare fingers.

My take on it all is that good quality audio valves are very expensive these days, so it is best to handle them using lint-free gloves.
    Barry

I'm mick.

If this works it's my good idea, if not ,I got it from one of the American forums, get a pencil with a rubber on the end and use the rubber to clean the pins,apparently it works very well.Never tried it myself tho'
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm mick.

ps ,it may be a bad idea to use a nail file as it may leave rough spots on the surfaces which may cause "micro " arc spots between the two surfaces ,leading to further cleaning being necessary and so on [possibly eventually leading to valve or valvebase needing to be replaced].Proper ray of sunshine are'nt I.-just something to keep an eye on. regards Mick
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm Grant.

Thought you were gonna stick em up your nose aka Blackadder
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm mick.

When I read it,Ithought the "poster" had something a bit different up HIS nose

I'm Mark.

Not a valve user at present but was for a long time and my preference was a good rub with duraglit then clean cloth to burnish and finish with a good wipe round them with Kontak and then a quick check with the meter for the bias settings and sit back and enjoy !
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm andy.

Please don't use a file, try one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scratch-br...3D281178279715
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by wiicrackpot View Post
    Please don't use a file, try one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scratch-br...3D281178279715
    Excellent suggestion!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast