+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2M Black. whats next ?

I'm Charlie.

Record cleaning machine. Best vinyl upgrade ever.

I'm Mike.

I went from a 2M Black to an IQ3 and it was the right move for me.

Reasons ?

1/ The 2M is just a bit too hi-fi for me, whereas the IQ3 has all the hi-fi attributes of the Black (detail openness, resolution etc) to a similar level, it just seems to sound a bit more believable / add a bit more naturalness to the mix.

2/ Set-up. The Black is a complete swine to set up. Once it is totally and stupidly accurately dialled in, it is absolutely wonderful sounding but every time I swapped cart (for me, it's just swapping headshells) the Black needed EVERYTHING completely resetting to get the best out of it. I started obsessing about the set up rather than listening to the music. Both the IQ3 and the IQ2 (my everyday cart) just need a reasonably competent set up to sound on top form, not a laser / theodolite / atomic GPS routine.

If it wasn't for the set up, I never would have moved on the Black but then I never would have bought the IQ3 ............................................
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Neal.

Don't forget the Black responds well to loading tweaks...actually that may be a good enough reason alone to switch as most phono stages won't have variable loading options for MM.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post

Reasons ?

1/ The 2M is just a bit too hi-fi for me, whereas the IQ3 has all the hi-fi attributes of the Black (detail openness, resolution etc) to a similar level, it just seems to sound a bit more believable / add a bit more naturalness to the mix.

2/ Set-up. The Black is a complete swine to set up. Once it is totally and stupidly accurately dialled in, it is absolutely wonderful sounding but every time I swapped cart (for me, it's just swapping headshells) the Black needed EVERYTHING completely resetting to get the best out of it. I started obsessing about the set up rather than listening to the music. Both the IQ3 and the IQ2 (my everyday cart) just need a reasonably competent set up to sound on top form, not a laser / theodolite / atomic GPS routine.

If it wasn't for the set up, I never would have moved on the Black but then I never would have bought the IQ3 ............................................
    Lol - Just seen this Mike and totally agree re: set-up. It is one cart you certainly cant cut corners with. I always hate when I've got it singing and then have to mess about with things for upgrade work or something cause finding the sweetspot again is bloody long and painful. I'm currently in that position at the mo after fitting the Mike New baseplate which raised the platter 6mm. I'm waiting for a Millennium vta alignment block to arrive as part of the whole set up thing. Glad it aint just me with this one

I'm Peter.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post

Reasons ?

This is correct IME.

I'm Paul.

The 2m black can be a bit "hifi", a little analytical, but correctly loaded, it can be balanced out so that the sound remains detailed without being fatiguing. Move to Zyx R50 and that opens up a whole new world of "musical" though. Has the authority of the 2M Black but is less hifi and (imho) more enjoyable. I still rate it as the reference cart at or near the price. MC though so will need an SUT or head amp which is the downside if you currently only have an MM phono stage.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    The 2m black can be a bit "hifi", a little analytical, but correctly loaded, it can be balanced out so that the sound remains detailed without being fatiguing. Move to Zyx R50 and that opens up a whole new world of "musical" though. Has the authority of the 2M Black but is less hifi and (imho) more enjoyable. I still rate it as the reference cart at or near the price. MC though so will need an SUT or head amp which is the downside if you currently only have an MM phono stage.
    Really don't want to go the MC and matching of SUT's etc route.

The IQ3 and in fact 2, which I also highly rate are about as 'high end' as I need to go with my modest deck. Completely happy where I am

I'm Geoff.

He's right you know. Until you've heard it you just won't know how good it sounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robert.

Yes, I've heard very good things about the R50. With regards the Black, IME once set up with care, time and proper attention, I have never found it to be particularly hifi or analytical and most definitely never fatiguing. To the contrary, every time time I've had it set right and found the sweet spot it has been just beautiful in every way really - timbre / texture of instruments, separation of parts, you name it. The last time in fact was the best I have ever heard my Techie / modest system sound, it was a revelation. The reason I say that is because it took me into each track like I had never heard before, right to the heart of the recording. It was probably the first time I heard the Black at it's absolute best and that was because I'd really got to setting it up carefully. The revelation was that each album sounded individual, I could hear the difference in the recordings no two albums sounded the same and why should / would they, think about it ... (No two recording studios are the same). It doesn't gloss over, it's presentation to make everything sound nicely the same. It isnt fruity, ripe or any of the other things I've read about certain carts that some people like. It is far more honest / accurate / natural / real then IMO. It is a genuine, quality music player. Although I'd always liked the Black it was the last time I'd truly got set up spot on that I really really knew how good it is coupled with the importance of careful and accurate set up because when you do it is most definitely worth it. You'll get the reward / sweet payback.

I'm Mike.

I agree that it's a cracking cart Mr Gong, when set up absolutely spot on +/- 0.

The IQ3 is just as good (if not better) with about 1/10th the hassle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast