I'm Peter.

Upgrade to an Audio Note IQ3

I'm Mike.

AN IQ3 perhaps ?
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    AN IQ3 perhaps ?
    Not heard one but from what I've read, which sounds good, nothing points to it being a clear upgrade over the 2M Black. I dont think the op is curious about anything that might be sideways.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Not heard one but from what I've read, which sounds good, nothing points to it being a clear upgrade over the 2M Black. I dont think the op is curious about anything that might be sideways.
    I have bought both, lived with both ... sold the 2M Black, kept the IQ3. Personal preference of course, but it is no exaggeration to say that the IQ3 easily competes with the mc carts I've owned costing up to twice as much. Of course the problem with top-flight modern mm carts like the Black and IQ3, is they are so good that to get a 'clear upgrade' you end up in silly-money territory (particularly if you use valves and start playing with step-up transformers).

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    I have bought both, lived with both ... sold the 2M Black, kept the IQ3. Personal preference of course, but it is no exaggeration to say that the IQ3 easily competes with the mc carts I've owned costing up to twice as much. Of course the problem with top-flight modern mm carts like the Black and IQ3, is they are so good that to get a 'clear upgrade' you end up in silly-money territory (particularly if you use valves and start playing with step-up transformers).
    I agree, personal preference plays it's part. I found this post / comment on line from hifisubjectivist.org from a thread called Moving On - upgrading MM to MC... copied as follows: Best MM I've ever owned was the Ortofon 2M Black which is a stunning thing. I really wanted to dislike it, mainly because I'd become tired of Noel Keywood and co w*nking themselves crazy over it. Bottom line though is NK was bang-on; it is utterly superb and my previous cynicism towards it was thrown in the bin. Shame it's a bit pricy for your budget and mine. . Laughed my head off at the w*nking bit as I recognised myself their, totally getting off on the 2M black all the time - I need to get a life
    Your point re: top flight MM's is also true IMO.

I'm Barry.

As I said at the end of my last post the more I think about it and the comments on here I will continue to enjoy my T/T and Black Beauty, then have a total rethink

I'm Darren.

If your sticking with mm then an audio note iq3, or clearaudio maestro.

If you're going mc then the world is your oyster.

I'm peter.

Ortofon are good cartridges, but there are plenty of excellent alternatives...in fact in 40 years I have never found an Ortofon to be the best 'solution' in a given price range. It's all very personal so you have to think and explore for yourself. My current favourite in the £600 bracket is the magnificent Grado Master. It gives a challenge to some very, very, expensive alternatives... And it's moving iron, 47K .
    As always, you may find your taste quite different, but try to hear what you can, don't get stuck in a narrow bunch of 'same' recommendations...there's a wider world of choice out there. The audio world has a long history of 'you can be in my gang' recommendations, which history later shows to have been dangerously narrow (think LP12.)
    it's a wide, wide, world. Why not explore it. There is more 'risk' involved, but you won't have much fun in this hobby if you always seek the safe option. It's rarely the best option, just the easiest.

I'm Abdulrahman.

If I may ask , if i do decide to go MC, what would be my choice then? same budget.
    Cassette Deck:
    Nak. ZX-9, Dragon, Sony TC-K555ES, TC-FX6, TC-K77R, TC-160, Pioneer Elite CT-07D, CT-F700, CT-W404R

R2R: Sony TC-580, Aiwa TP-708, Revox B77 MKii

TT:Technics SL-1210M5G, PHILIPS 133 PORTABLE, MARANTZ TTS1, DUAL CS406, DENON DP-47F, Thorens TD-146, Thorens TD-290, AR-XA, PIONEER PL-530, REGA RP 6, Dual 1019 (2), Dual 1229, Pioneer PL-530 & PL-570, Denon DP-A100, Threns TD-125 MKII, Kenwood KD-750

Amp.:Pioneer VSX- 515

CD: TASCAM CD-RW-901SL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast