+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Martian Ate My Speakers!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I swear I'm getting a FAR better sound at home these days
    That's my next upgrade sorted then, and that's just to my liver!

Actually that reminds me of a story. About a month after peruading Mrs Alex to let me get Sky HD (when it first came out, and was fairly expensive) I had my eyes tested, and found I needed glasses - needless to say, I was ribbed that I didn't need HD just glasses - "should've gone to Specsavers" wore a bit thin after a while!

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up Welcome.

Hi Alex and Welcome,
    Judging by the general tone of your intro you'll fit in very well here. We (almost) all share a genteel sense of humour, banter is rife, as is the free flow of information and practical help. Even the ones that don't confine themselves to a genteel sense of humour but go off on their own tangent are extremely friendly and helpful and, although sometimes weird, are harmless enough - (no names, no pack drill but you'll probably work it out for yourself soon enough, key words to look out for are "frilly dress" or something similar ).
    Hope your stay is long, rewarding and enjoyable.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Neil.

Hi Alex

Welcome to AoS.

There you go even Daleks are friendly on this forum.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Thanks Dave & Dalek - already enjoying soaking up the info, and some great "hellos" so thanks everyone and sorry to the other half as I may well have another "bloody forum" - but hey, she has facebook!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Nick. I always say I like anything that I like - but that's not going to help much! I hope I am in no way a music snob, is probably what I mean - my favourite genre is probably downtempo electronica - or "chillout" type music, but I literally have everything from Britney Spears to Benjamin Britten, Popular Jazz (Coltrane, Davis, Hancock etc.) Indie, Hip Hop, Dance - really is everything, but "chilled" is probably my favourite style.
    Hello Alex,

Coltrane, Davis and Hancock - sounds good to me! If you like to 'chill out' you might like to try some Ben Webster or Yusef Lateef.

Welcome to AoS
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Hi Alex, welcome to AOS.

From the title of your opening message, I think you'll fit right on in here. And no worries about being ignored as a newbie here on AOS, in fact I'd go as far as to say that the guys here go out of their way to be supportive of new members, especially the admin team.

Also Alex, being new to the forum has nothing to do with the validity of your views and knowledge. A 25yr hi-fi obsession and 3000 albums tells me that you've got plenty to offer, probably more than a lot of us! The only thing you're new to is the forum itself and the various characters (and oh lordy have we got a few of those, but not in a bad way )

Sounds like we've plenty in common on the music front, and the attraction to music streaming, so I look forward to getting to know you.

Oh and you're not the only one who get's a bit of friendly stick about 'your forum friends'

p.s. Oh and don't be scared if you come across any threads (there are quite a few) where Marco is going on about wearing dresses, he's mostly harmless.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Welcome Alex!!

Although I love it here in Dartmouth and moved here out of choice, I spent most of my working life in Wickhambrook in West Suffolk. Suffolk and Margaret Thatcher were good to me, the Golden Years in fact.

But my life in Dartmouth as web designer/internet guru and Sound Hi Fi is the best yet. Lived here 12 years and married 10 years ago. With 14 bars we do go out frequently.................

Regards

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

A very warm welcome to AOS, Alex - great introduction! I think you'll fit in here very nicely

I look forward to reading your contributions in the main parts of the forum

Enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    If you like to 'chill out' you might like to try some Ben Webster or Yusef Lateef
    Thanks Barry, they both seem to have a fair bit on Spotify so I'll give them a try there before buying. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 04-08-2009 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    I'd go as far as to say that the guys here go out of their way to be supportive of new members, especially the admin team.
    Thanks for the welcome - in the showing so far, I 110% agree - thanks everyone.

Oh and you're not the only one who get's a bit of friendly stick about 'your forum friends'
    I did call her bluff with one of my car forums and we arranged a get together - "look they're real, look they're real!" (One of them was an axe-murderer, another had escaped from the loonie bin but I'm sure none of you lot are like that...)

p.s. Oh and don't be scared if you come across any threads (there are quite a few) where Marco is going on about wearing dresses, he's mostly harmless.
    Ah, and there was me thinking CD stood for Compact Disk! Still, "Alice" at the weekends could work... I'm open minded - I've even just bought a mains conditioner!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast