+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Tale of Two Nines

I'm Mike.

Default A Tale of Two Nines

I'm looking for recommendations for Dvoraks Ninth and Beethovens ninth on CD. I'm trying to keep my classical collection to CD if pos.

Cheers guys

Mike
    Mike

My kit

Garrard 401, 12 inch Jelco SA – 750L, Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver Litz tonearm cable, Graham Slee Reflex C with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Audio-Technica AT33EV, Audio Technica AT33 Mono, XTZ A100 D3, Azur 650C CDP with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Speakers - Kef LS S0, Graham Slee Novo headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.

I'm Andrei.

Some pieces are very interpretation dependent, but IMHO the Dvořák is not one of them. I would buy on price and recording quality. LvB's ninth is another kettle of fish. There are some great recordings out there but the tension Chailly (Gewandhaus Orchestra) brings to the game makes it the one for me. (I have Chailly, Barenboim, Harancourt, Norrington, Gardiner, Abbado, Wand, Scholz on CD and others on LP).
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Luca.

Hi Mike,

Dvorak: Kertesz/London Symphony (Decca) and Kubelik/Berlin Phil (Deutsche Grammophon) are my favorite. Kertesz furthermore benefits from the warm, full-bodied Decca sound of the early 60s. Both have recorded complete sets of the symphonies that can be found for cheap.

Beethoven: too many to choose from! I second Chailly/Gewandhaus among the recent recordings, a very dramatic reading. Harnoncourt/COEurope or Zinman/Tonhalle Zurich if you like an even more "modern", rythmical and tensed approach. Among the older recordings, Bohm/Wiener Phil or Fricsay/Berlin Phil are both excellent, the former more "hieratic", the latter more emotional IMHO.

Hope this helps,
    Luca
    Last edited by ls2019; 08-11-2014 at 22:53.

I'm Mike.

Thanks guy, I bought the Chailly and the Karel Ancerl Dvorak, Both very good from first impressions.
    Mike

My kit

Garrard 401, 12 inch Jelco SA – 750L, Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver Litz tonearm cable, Graham Slee Reflex C with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Audio-Technica AT33EV, Audio Technica AT33 Mono, XTZ A100 D3, Azur 650C CDP with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Speakers - Kef LS S0, Graham Slee Novo headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike - H View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations for Dvoraks Ninth and Beethovens ninth on CD. I'm trying to keep my classical collection to CD if pos.

Cheers guys

Mike
    You really should try Furtwängler's Berlin 1942 performance, some say "perhaps the greatest Beethoven 9 ever"

http://www.pristineclassical.com/pasc250.html

His Wagner recordings are worth seeking out too!

+ Reply to Thread