+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Technics SL-1210Mk2 journey - advice needed . . .

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    I am no doubt regarded on here by Technics lovers as a heretic, loony or maybe just an idiot!

I keep asking myself, but why ? Why go to all the trouble of modifying, disabling, replacing all of the deck when there are hundreds of purpose designed used SOTA hi fi turntables just waiting for hi-fi loving homes! Lost Linn's abandoned Alphason's, mistreated Michell's, not forgetting Pink Triangle''s, Origin Live's, Voyd's, Roksan's,
    Townsend, Wilson Benesh, Kuzma, etc, etc etc; So guys and gals get forgoing those second hand shops and classified column's and give a turntable other than Technics a chance ! You might be surprised to find that the results are quite outstanding !
    Mark, with an avatar like that you should know that putting a toe into shark-infested waters will get bitten off!
    Anyway, once you are suitably chastened check out http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...to-with-prizes which shows only half the forum's members are rabid Technics lovers.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
    The modified Technics will provide a very high, and neutrally balanced benchmark, with which to judge any future additional decks I might consider.
    Gareth,

The 1210 is a deck that will last a very very long time. I've had mine for about 5 years now and have no intention of buying anything else. I also own a Garrard 301 which I have fully restored and not tweaked anywhere near as much as the 1210. I've owned Thorens, Linn, Alphason suspended chasis rubber band decks and whilst they are ok they are not a 1210. I'd enjoy the journey with your 1210. I bet the deck lasts a lot longer than your speakers, amps, CD player etc!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Can't see me changing out my Technics.

There are a lot of mods on it and they work very well.
    Other systems mods have allowed even more detail through

With the amount of people doing these *serious* mods I cannot see you could do better at the price
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Gareth.

Many thanks for all of the ongoing replies guys,much appreciated!

I'm still trying to narrow down the cartridge choice somewhat. Can someone confirm for me (and sorry if this is a bit of a dumb newbie question) if the SL1210 can utilise a 12" tonearm?

If so, what are peoples thoughts on the Ortofon RS-309D Tonearm - given that I have pretty much decided on one of the higher end Ortofon carts would this represent a good synergy? I had looked at the RS-212D, but this appears to be a discontinued item on Ortofon's website for some reason?

Also, whilst it might be a bit overkill (and out of budget at their list price - but feasible if the right secondhand one came available), does anyone know if either the Kuzma 4-Point or the Graham Phantom II will fit on the Technics (with suitable custom arm board of course)?
    Sources: Auralic Aries streamer + Auralic Vega DAC, Oppo BDP-105D, Technics SL-1210 MkII (modification in progress - currently all stock + Achromat + Ortofon MC-3 Turbo) | Preamp: Mark Levinson No. 326S with phono board | Amp: Mark Levinson No. 532H | Speakers: Revel Salon 2 | Cables: Chord Sarum

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
    Many thanks for all of the ongoing replies guys,much appreciated!

I'm still trying to narrow down the cartridge choice somewhat. Can someone confirm for me (and sorry if this is a bit of a dumb newbie question) if the SL1210 can utilise a 12" tonearm?

If so, what are peoples thoughts on the Ortofon RS-309D Tonearm - given that I have pretty much decided on one of the higher end Ortofon carts would this represent a good synergy? I had looked at the RS-212D, but this appears to be a discontinued item on Ortofon's website for some reason?

Also, whilst it might be a bit overkill (and out of budget at their list price - but feasible if the right secondhand one came available), does anyone know if either the Kuzma 4-Point or the Graham Phantom II will fit on the Technics (with suitable custom arm board of course)?
    A 12 inch tonearm will not fit in the mounting space provided. Basically anything of the right length will fit but, and this is a big but, you will need the correct mounting board. Someone in this parish has fitted a Graham but he needed a custom board.

PS a Technics SL1200 / 1210 with a Kuzma 4-point would be close to the ultimate turntable.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Mike.

How's about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-RS...item5b05423a9b

Think 12" would be a brave decision Prime Minister
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    How's about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-RS...item5b05423a9b

Think 12" would be a brave decision Prime Minister
    Thanks Mike, yeah, that's the one I have been looking at - it comes up on E-bay UK also. I think its going to be between that and this SME:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SME-M2-9-T...item3a999c6d7a

Obviously the SME is half the price, and appears to be something of a bargain, but does it's lower price suggest lesser performance?

Which would be your (or anyone else's) pick from these two?
    Sources: Auralic Aries streamer + Auralic Vega DAC, Oppo BDP-105D, Technics SL-1210 MkII (modification in progress - currently all stock + Achromat + Ortofon MC-3 Turbo) | Preamp: Mark Levinson No. 326S with phono board | Amp: Mark Levinson No. 532H | Speakers: Revel Salon 2 | Cables: Chord Sarum

I'm Martin.

I've been told by someone who should know that you cannot fit a 12 inch arm on because the plinth is not wide enough. Just changing the arm board wouldn't be sufficient, you would need to re-plinth the whole deck.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Stands to reason. If a 12" arm is 3" longer, the mounting position will be 3" further away. The TT ain't big enough. You could no doubt make a rear overhanging mount and chop the back the right corner of the TT base to accommodate the underhanging bits, but it would be a bit of a 'dogs breakfast'!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gareth.

No, I don't think I'll go to that bother!

Any comments on those two tonearm options then? Anyone compared them at any point?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast