+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Technics SL-1210Mk2 journey - advice needed . . .

I'm Clive.

I'm in the change the arm group and I think you see the point. Which arm will dictate which cartridge. There are lots of both out there and I obviously have my favourite (see my signature and also my avatar)
    The thing that worries me with all the changes and mods you want to make is doing these all at once negates what each upgrade is doing for you. Not all the changes will be as effective as others. I do not inclued aesthetics. That is totally down to your taste.
    My suggestion is simple. Do the changes one at a time and over weeks/months so you can hear which way to go next to get the sound ( and looks ) to your liking. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey.
    That is what I have been doing for the last 16 months and I think I've enjoyed and appreciated the journey as well the results.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Do the changes one at a time and over weeks/months so you can hear which way to go next to get the sound ( and looks ) to your liking. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey.
    That is what I have been doing for the last 16 months and I think I've enjoyed and appreciated the journey as well the results.
    +1 !
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Agreed with Clive. Incremental change is good

I started with a semi modded Technics, main mods, MCRU PSU and Jelco arm
    Compared to my then current LP12 it fell short
    After putting in
    MN bearing, Funk Firm platter, Acromat, Ortofon SPU
    it sounded better than the LP12
    Improved further with Yannis interconnects
    Massive improvement with Ortofon SUT and Whest .30r, - also usable on the LP12 of course
    Further improvements with a MN platter
    Isonoe feet and Techniboots
    'Course as with all things a lot of the above were upgraded and now need to be sold !

I'm calming down now on the upgrades though
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    OK, just some thoughts regards your tonearm.

I've done the stock tonearm and REGA's and then SME's and that is where I stopped. I love the SME V, some think it sounds limp and too dampened. I think if you get a decent cart like the Cadenza Black and a decent arm like the V you cant go wrong. A lot of people like JELCO's. You will need an arm with a detatchable headshell If you want to try a SPU (I have one on my Garrard 301) but if you get the V you dont have to piss around worrying about them If you get the V, send it to Johnie 7 at audio origami and try a silver re-wire and also try silver cartridge tags. I've tried Audio technica's on my 1210 and didnt like them. I've had several high end Ortofons on mine and loved them all.

A note about tonearm boards. I've had stock arm boards, aluminium, copper and then ebony. Here is my review of what I found.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ebony+armboard

With regards tonearm cables. You need to speak to Yannis at backbeat promotions. He will give you VERY VERY detailed answers to any questions you might have.

The sorbotrhane cradle (I only managed a 2mm) allows the weight of the PCB and Bearing to sit on the sorbothane and absorb any vibrations going up through the shaft of the bearing. Finally you could buy some car audio dampening material and try this on the underside of the plinth.

PS Forgot to mention, you might want to consider a SUT if you go down the SPU / hi-end ortofon MC cart.
    Thanks for coming back to me Andy. A lot to think about here.

I'll look into the ebony arm board.

On the sorbothane cradle, do you have some pics of how you installed this, or is it pretty obvious (I haven't taken the deck apart yet). Does it go underneath the Mike New bearing plate?

On the tonearm, thanks for the suggestions - I had looked at the SME, but to be honest I did actually want an arm with a detachable head shell to make it easier to do cartridge comparisons in the future.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here (i'm new to vinyl), but what exactly does the SUT do? How does it improve sound quality versus going straight into the phonostage?

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Hi there and welcome
    I will try to cover different points from the others but must agree regarding the arm: I agree with having an arm that is in keeping looks-wise with your TT and thereby wanting to keep the original arm. However you can have your cake and eat it too! SME M2-9 would fit the bill nicely. Or the Jelco 750D - Do not be put off by its low price. It is used not only used by many forum members, but also Feikert, Luxman, and Electrocompaniet on current turntables. Micro Seiki: In my humble opinion theirs are the best looking arms and there is thread here somewhere with a build.
    Have you already purchased your TT? If not then the one to go for is an SL 12105G.
    Cartridge: not really my area of expertise but I would suggest considering the phono stage at the same time as they need to work together.
    Finally one of the things we like on this forum, especially the Techiepedia are pics - so don't be shy.
    Many thanks for the reply Andrei. The SME-M2-9 looks like a nice arm, I like the fact that it has a removable head shell.. How does its SQ compare to the V model that Andy suggested?

Micro Seiki is not a name I have come across before - a quick Google doesn't seem to produce much - is the company that makes them still operating, or is this a vintage part?

I already have the TT, a 1210Mk2. I bought it off a friend, and although he was/is a bit of a bedroom DJ, its not had a massive amount of use, and has been very well looked after.

As for pics, yes, I intend to keep this thread updated as I progress.

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I'm in the change the arm group and I think you see the point. Which arm will dictate which cartridge. There are lots of both out there and I obviously have my favourite (see my signature and also my avatar)
    The thing that worries me with all the changes and mods you want to make is doing these all at once negates what each upgrade is doing for you. Not all the changes will be as effective as others. I do not inclued aesthetics. That is totally down to your taste.
    My suggestion is simple. Do the changes one at a time and over weeks/months so you can hear which way to go next to get the sound ( and looks ) to your liking. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey.
    Many thanks for your reply Clive.

I have looked at the Origin Live tonearms, and they do look well made. Did you try any other tonearms before settling on the Encounter, and if so, what made you choose the Encounter over the other options?

I see you are another Ortofon Cadenza Black owner - same questions again, what made you go with that cart in particular?

I know what you are saying re the speed of upgrading, but to be honest I just want to get it all done, and sit back and enjoy it without having to think about whether I need to upgrade this or that (with the possible exception of carts), knowing that I have done everything I can to optimise the deck. I will then, hopefully, have a very high benchmark with which to compare to other decks in the future.

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Agreed with Clive. Incremental change is good

I started with a semi modded Technics, main mods, MCRU PSU and Jelco arm
    Compared to my then current LP12 it fell short
    After putting in
    MN bearing, Funk Firm platter, Acromat, Ortofon SPU
    it sounded better than the LP12
    Improved further with Yannis interconnects
    Massive improvement with Ortofon SUT and Whest .30r, - also usable on the LP12 of course
    Further improvements with a MN platter
    Isonoe feet and Techniboots
    'Course as with all things a lot of the above were upgraded and now need to be sold !

I'm calming down now on the upgrades though
    Thanks for the post Mike.

As you point ouot, you've upgraded a few times - that is partly my reason for doing everything at once,to get it done and dusted and stick with it (carts aside perhaps).

I see the Yannis cables are well thought of here then - first time I've come across them, and they look very made from their website, and not horrendously expensive for pure silver, I will look into them more.

I see you are an Ortofon SPU and SUT user, what made you go for that cart over a 2M or Cadenza? And what did the SUT add to the SQ of your system?

I'm Gareth.

So on the tonearms, given that I would like a detachable head shell to allow for easier cartridge comparisons, the current shortlist is looking like:

SME M2-9
    Origin Live (not sure which model)
    Ortofon (possible TA-110 or one of the recently discontinued arms - RS-212D?)

I'm assuming in all this that tonearm lengths greater than 9" (such as a 12") cannot be used on the SL-1210?

On the Cartridges, it seems that most people opt for Ortofon of one type or another - there's no real mention of any other brands?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
    Thanks for the post Mike.

As you point ouot, you've upgraded a few times - that is partly my reason for doing everything at once,to get it done and dusted and stick with it (carts aside perhaps).

I see the Yannis cables are well thought of here then - first time I've come across them, and they look very made from their website, and not horrendously expensive for pure silver, I will look into them more.

I see you are an Ortofon SPU and SUT user, what made you go for that cart over a 2M or Cadenza? And what did the SUT add to the SQ of your system?
    I did a lot in one session, but listened each time to check what I was getting.

Once you have finished you may find, like me that you are not finished, are we ever ?

What is delivered in sound quality in Yannis' cables is way, way more than the price.
    You can pay more for other cables and get less

On the SPU, like you I was getting impatient.
    I heard Marco's and was impressed. Talking to Marco later he was thinking of upgrading so I bought it !
    The Ortofon SUT I took to match the SPU and was staggered at the improvement, the Whest also helped a lot.
    I had heard similar and had identified the SUT and Phono Pre as vital big steps up in my then system - they were.
    'Course I then heard the much more expensive VIDA and now have both the SUT and Whest to sell !

The way I have upgraded hasn't been completely scientific.
    Some kit bought unheard, some heard in other systems or on recommendation
    Now a few quid spent later the system sounds just fantastic.
    Enjoyment levels off the scale I was used to.

If you think about a Jelco I have one of them to sell as well
    (Not been good selling kit and I really need to get my finger out)
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
    Many thanks for your reply Clive.

I have looked at the Origin Live tonearms, and they do look well made. Did you try any other tonearms before settling on the Encounter, and if so, what made you choose the Encounter over the other options?

I see you are another Ortofon Cadenza Black owner - same questions again, what made you go with that cart in particular?

I know what you are saying re the speed of upgrading, but to be honest I just want to get it all done, and sit back and enjoy it without having to think about whether I need to upgrade this or that (with the possible exception of carts), knowing that I have done everything I can to optimise the deck. I will then, hopefully, have a very high benchmark with which to compare to other decks in the future.
    Hi

Being an audiophile for the last 44 years I have owned many TT's and seperate arms by SME, Linn and now Origin Live. When I purchased my SL1210M5G to replace a Linn LP12/Ittok MkIII in June last year I also bought the Origin Live Silver Mk3 and Origin Live armboard at the same time. The Encounter was bought from a fellow forum member about 2 months ago after reading a few reviews regarding the Dual Pivot system that OL use. Great arm but as on all OL arms the head shells are not interchangeable. That does not present me with a problem as I find it very easy to swop-out a cartridge.

As for cartridges, I have owned models by Audio Technica, Shure, ADC, Philips, Denon, Linn and Ortofon. I have always prefered the later having gone through most of their range over the years. In the last ten years I've ran a Kontrapunct B, Cadenza Bronze, 2M Black and now the Cadenza Black which was purchased about a month ago.

Clive
    Last edited by Clive197; 30-10-2014 at 16:39. Reason: Sorry, typo.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast