+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: My Technics SL-1210Mk2 journey - advice needed . . .

I'm Mark.

Fair point ! I think on balance of my many replies to threads on her this was perhaps a little dogmatic my apologies if any offence was caused.
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Fair point ! I think on balance of my many replies to threads on her this was perhaps a little dogmatic my apologies if any offence was caused.
    No offence taken here
    Sources: Auralic Aries streamer + Auralic Vega DAC, Oppo BDP-105D, Technics SL-1210 MkII (modification in progress - currently all stock + Achromat + Ortofon MC-3 Turbo) | Preamp: Mark Levinson No. 326S with phono board | Amp: Mark Levinson No. 532H | Speakers: Revel Salon 2 | Cables: Chord Sarum

I'm Gareth.

Can someone tell me what the small black metal cog is for on the underside on the stock Technics platter? Is it something to do with the speed sensor?

Also what is the purpose of the thin piece of metal that wraps around it?

image.jpg

I note on the Mike New ETP platter that I now have, that this cog is slightly different (slightly different size with different size and taper gaps in the cog). It is also absent the thin strip of metal that goes around the stock cog. Does this matter?

image.jpg
    Sources: Auralic Aries streamer + Auralic Vega DAC, Oppo BDP-105D, Technics SL-1210 MkII (modification in progress - currently all stock + Achromat + Ortofon MC-3 Turbo) | Preamp: Mark Levinson No. 326S with phono board | Amp: Mark Levinson No. 532H | Speakers: Revel Salon 2 | Cables: Chord Sarum

Mike_New Guest

Hi wookii,
    The "black" cog and it's relative axial position with respect to the radial magnetic field of the ferite drive magnet is crucial to the opperation of the direct drive platter. The design of my syncronisation cog is different to the OEM unit.
    The OEM cog is a laminated unit, mine is not. but is machined from a solid bar of special iron.
    The pulse generator is mounted onto an alluminium centre boss which is inserted into the ETP Platter.
    The teeth of the pulse generator are then aligned to the manetic field of the ferro magnet using a special jig, and locked into position.

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_New View Post
    Hi wookii,
    The "black" cog and it's relative axial position with respect to the radial magnetic field of the ferite drive magnet is crucial to the opperation of the direct drive platter. The design of my syncronisation cog is different to the OEM unit.
    The OEM cog is a laminated unit, mine is not. but is machined from a solid bar of special iron.
    The pulse generator is mounted onto an alluminium centre boss which is inserted into the ETP Platter.
    The teeth of the pulse generator are then aligned to the manetic field of the ferro magnet using a special jig, and locked into position.
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply Mike - I hope you are feeling better.

Does the cog design you have implemented improve the rotational accuracy of your platter over the stock platter then? If so, that is a great addition that you might want to make more of a point of - I'm sure many people aren't aware of the differences!

Mike_New Guest

I should have responded earlier to your post Wookii.
    I have not shouted about the differences between my Platter and the original or other suppliers, as it will all become a quagmire of technical opinions which people will be confused and scared by, thus being turned off of doing any upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011