+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTB... A&R CAMBRIDGE A60 amplifier

I'm Steve.

Default WTB... A&R CAMBRIDGE A60 amplifier

Hi,

Had an A&R A60 years ago and remember what a great little amp it was. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic at the moment and looking out for another one with a view to maybe getting it updated with modern components. Just missed out out on a couple on ebay as I wasn't around at the end of auction.

So was wondering if anyone here might have one they're not using and might want to sell ?

Steve
    By Day Dell Precision M650 laptop into a Rega DAC via a Beresford Asynch... Teac PD-H500 CD player
    Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp powering dMarKen7.3 mini onken's via TQ Black's (IAS Beaulieu speakers 'in reserve')
    By Night Sennheiser HD600's fed by a Lehmann Black Cube Linear headphone amp
    Out and about Fiio X5 music player/DAC and Ultimate Ears triple fi 10 pro iem's

I'm Kulwinder.

Default Re A60

Will PM...

I'm Steve.

Still looking for one ... later models with speaker binding posts not 2 pin dins

Steve
    By Day Dell Precision M650 laptop into a Rega DAC via a Beresford Asynch... Teac PD-H500 CD player
    Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp powering dMarKen7.3 mini onken's via TQ Black's (IAS Beaulieu speakers 'in reserve')

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by steve s View Post
    Hi,

Had an A&R A60 years ago and remember what a great little amp it was. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic at the moment and looking out for another one with a view to maybe getting it updated with modern components. Just missed out out on a couple on ebay as I wasn't around at the end of auction.

So was wondering if anyone here might have one they're not using and might want to sell ?

Steve
    I think you will be very disappointed with an A&R A60 amp... I have a friend that had one from new until recently and he now uses NVA amps (poor sod!!) but the A60 was trounced by pretty much any other amp I had him try...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I think you will be very disappointed with an A&R A60 amp... I have a friend that had one from new until recently and he now uses NVA amps (poor sod!!) but the A60 was trounced by pretty much any other amp I had him try...
    I'd go along with that. I've had a couple of A60s and found them dull.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd go along with that. I've had a couple of A60s and found them dull.
    Really ?? I had one before and remembered it sounding really good, though not particularly powerful. It was 20 years ago so maybe my memory's playing tricks and at the time it was the first 'proper HiFi' I had owned. It's not for my main system though, was just going to try and get a cheapy, give it a recap and get the pre/power split done to turn it into an AP60. Was also thinking it could make a good hpa .... seem to remember the headphone output being ok.

I'm Andr'e.

The 2 Pin Din outputs are only on the very very early units, these don't come up for sale that often anyway. The one i have is a 1982 model i bought brand new with IC phonostage. I swapped out the original 'NE5534's for Analogue devices IC's. however if i get the chance to come across an earlier model with fully discrete phono stage i'll jump on that. I like Dins & much prefer them to Phono connectors tbh.

Note: Turntable input were Din until around the back end of 1983, Dedicated CD input 1985. Also the later Chassis were all in one affair, the earlier models were three piece. Flat plate chassis, Aluminium 'L' section front & rear facia's.

I always like the 'A60AP' With 'SA60X' power amp, i used this combo in Active system back then.. There is not many amps i have owned through the years i can trooley say i have loved but the 'A60' is one of my old favs

btw: They are not dull imho.
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 31-10-2014 at 13:57.

I'm Alex.

Apart from the version with the DIN speaker sockets, I think I have one of each of the different versions:

A60 3 off by A60man, on Flickr

The ones with the IC phono stages, are much quieter when switched to phono.
    Spendorman

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Apart from the version with the DIN speaker sockets, I think I have one of each of the different versions:

A60 3 off by A60man, on Flickr

The ones with the IC phono stages, are much quieter when switched to phono.
    Decisions, decisions.... that's a tough one Alex .... errrrr ... ...umm.................... I'll take the top one then !!

Steve

I'm Gone.

PM sent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast