+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Back in Time

I'm Paul.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

We unkindly went over the TLS 50's heads as we always sold more 80's and pro Monitors The TLS50's were lovely though as long as the bass was kept under control

Interesting how large the 50's look today. In our old KJ dem rooms, the 50's looked tiny (wish I had some pics from the old days, especially KJ Wigmore St in the mid 70's, as you'd be amazed how many big floor-standers/low stand mounters there were
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Interesting how large the 50's look today. In our old KJ dem rooms, the 50's looked tiny (wish I had some pics from the old days, especially KJ Wigmore St in the mid 70's, as you'd be amazed how many big floor-standers/low stand mounters there were
    That was back when speakers were made for MEN! and not WAF...

That really is a boss looking system, the only tiny niggle I have is that red rack. Ascetically speaking it just doesn't compliment everything else. For me anyway. But I have a thing about red, don't like red carpets or furniture or curtains.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That was back when speakers were made for MEN! and not WAF...

That really is a boss looking system, the only tiny niggle I have is that red rack. Ascetically speaking it just doesn't compliment everything else. For me anyway. But I have a thing about red, don't like red carpets or furniture or curtains.
    It goes well with my cupboard though

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    We unkindly went over the TLS 50's heads as we always sold more 80's and pro Monitors The TLS50's were lovely though as long as the bass was kept under control

It was a simpler time. I remember the shop in 1978 where I worked had a wall of systems connected by a big switch box to a wall of speakers and you could select which system to play with any of the speakers. Great fun.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    It was a simpler time. I remember the shop in 1978 where I worked had a wall of systems connected by a big switch box to a wall of speakers and you could select which system to play with any of the speakers. Great fun.
    There is a bloke on the AK site who got hold of one of those comparator boxes and has a basement set up with about 20 receivers and 20 sets of speakers set up through it. Insane but at the same time very cool.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

That's lovely.

Regards Neil

I'm Paul.

Default Small additions

Finally I found a nice clean ADC LMG-1 headshell from the bay. Probably kidding myself but I think my turntable has never sounded better.

Also on Amazon I found this inexpensive LED clip light which charges over usb.

I'm Andr'e.

Nice. Id be tempted to strip it get the sander on it & give it a perfect spray finish.

I'm Paul.

Default more ins and outs

I needed a new power lamp on my amp and Charlie (kondo) was kind enough to come over and solder it in for me for which I am very grateful. I'm too obsessive to tolerate the lamp being out for long and an amp this heavy is a real hassle to take take to a tech for such a simple thing. I really should learn to solder. Anyway, gave me a chance to take a decent pic of the innards:

Out went the Audio Note dac and the Ifi usb-spdif converter, partly to raise cash and partly to make room in the rack for a cassette deck.

In came a Sony TC-K81 and an Ifi Nano iDSD dac. The little dac is a marvel. Not quite up to the AN but a more than adequate replacement.

Last edited by hermit; 10-01-2015 at 23:25.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast