+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Back in Time

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting. Are they tonally neutral on the Minimax or smoothing a bright treble?
    Without the rings, the treble was rather harsh - not particularly bright, but harsh. I did once try them on my Avalon NP2.0 floorstanders, but the designer has already voiced them with grille diffraction in mind and the focus rings were a definite step backwards. The Avalons are representative of a small but refreshing breed of speakers that really do sound better with grilles on.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    You're quite right. I would if I had a bigger room. My mum has one that would be perfect - just need to wait for her to die then I will have the room and the sideboard

Beautiful piece of furniture

Regards Neil

I'm Paul.

I just picked up this Trio KT-5300 tuner for peanuts. Pretty much unmarked and in perfect working order. Happy days.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    You're quite right. I would if I had a bigger room. My mum has one that would be perfect - just need to wait for her to die then I will have the room and the sideboard

Lovely - both the sideboard, bowl and picture!
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Vintage tuners are like buses up here; none for ages and then two at once. I just picked up a mint Pioneer TX-9500 that I stumbled across on Gumtree. I was so impressed with the little Trio that I just couldn't resist trying out a high end tuner.

I'm Grant.

Nice amp the Paul....loverly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Gosh Paul, that tuner brings up some fond memories - I practically grew up with one!
    My Dad bought one in the early 80's and then gave it to me as a present when I turned 15; it was my prized possession and part of my first proper hifi system for years! That thing got me through exams, high school heartbreaks, the lot! One fine sounding piece of equipment if you ask me.

I'm charles.

Default TUNER

looks superb and sounds it by all accounts,

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Around 7mm thick is ideal, I reckon. I have some old Russ Andrews Focus Rings ( see http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...ULFJOFCYNGOWZN ) that work very well and which are quite fairly priced. The ring should not be tight to the dome - do that and you end up absorbing too much of the peripheral tweeter output. And, yes you do need to treat the tweeter and supertweeter separately.
    Thanks Hugo for recommending the Russ Andrews Focus Rings. I installed them this morning and they're just the job. There's no question that the imaging is more precise and there seems to be no reduction in HF response. A good result.

Last edited by hermit; 13-11-2014 at 16:28.

I'm Hugo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast