+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Back in Time

I'm Paul.

Thanks for your comments gents. It's good to see the Eroica has found some favour on here. For my part, it was a pretty safe bet as I had heard it on numerous occasions in a friend's system. I only had it mounted for a couple of sessions before the Shure arrived so interesting comparisons lie ahead. The Shure has also made a very good first impression. It's very neutral & well balanced sounding but maybe lacking some of the air and space and top end extension of the Eroica.

I'm Geoff.

The Eroica responds well to a decent SUT.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Me, too.

And it's nice to see the Yammie 'phones in their new home.
    -- as I said in my advert, they were a bit warm and cosy sounding for me, but whack up the treble tone control a few dB and they sounded fab!
    Yes, thanks for the Yamaha headphones Jerry. Stunning retro design imo and surprisingly comfy. I had a couple of hours with them late last night and I enjoyed the fact that the sound has a bit of heft to it. I didn't feel that they were particularly treble light I have to say but I'm really no great judge of phones as I've not really been an indoor headphone listener up till now. I'd still like a minty pair of the Bellini designed HP-1's that I had when I was a young man. I have very fond memories of those. I have a feeling that they were a bit bass shy compared to HP-500 but it was a lifetime ago.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Eroica responds well to a decent SUT.
    I've been using the Trio KHA-50 mc head amp into the Yamaha's MM stage. I've not had a chance to compare it to anything else yet so I'm interested as to what you would recommend. A friend will bring over his Linn Linto mc stage at some point so that will give me an idea how capable or otherwise the Trio/Yamaha combination actually is. It'll be interesting to see how far short of the Linto they fall.

I'm Paul.

New headshell for the Eroica. Thanks Grant

I'm Paul.

A very nice vintage cartridge that I found NOS on ebay - Empire 2000e/iii. I was curious to see if it lived up to it's reputation on the web. I like it a lot.

I'm Paul.

I sold both the Goldring Eroica and the DV20XH to help fund this:

I'm Geoff.

And?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    And?
    The short answer is that I'm delighted with the AT33. I had the chance to borrow a friend's for a couple of extended auditions at home so it was a safe buy.

I listen to a lot of jazz and, in my system, I found the Eroica a little forward on the cymbals for my taste. By contrast the DV was a touch recessed in the treble and I found myself listening most to the Shure v15 jico sas as it was the most even handed of the three.

The AT33 seems as even handed as the Shure tonally and really suits my system. It just adds a little mc magic to the mix.

The Empire has not had much of a run out whilst I've been sorting out my mc choice.

My plans for my TD-125 restoration have changed. It's going to get the full monty over the coming months. It's currently away getting a recap. I plan to buy a Layers of Beauty plinth and, possibly, a Jelco 750 for it eventually. I imagine the AT33 will stay put in the Kenwood and the Shure or Empire will find a home in the Thorens. It's going to take a while to save up for the plinth and arm so probably next year before its up and running.

I'm Geoff.

That's good Paul. I always like finding a nice new MC.

I'm Loz.

Only just saw this thread this morning whilst browsing the posts. Really a great read from start to finish Paul. As usual due to my rudimentary understanding of Hi Fi/technology, some stuff passes me by. However It was great reading how your system has evolved over time and has turned into something really lovely and you clearly enjoy. Great stuff.

Cheers

Loz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast