+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Going Back in Time

I'm Paul.

A few more pics

danilo Guest

Interesting..indeed.
    Can't help myself from asking : What? is all that Ugly/messed goop on the coils actually for ?
    Never previously seen that particular bodge. Hopefully it wasn't pricey.
    As aside .. IF determined to refit the Crossover covers on.. neatly ?
    It is possible to fit nutserts to the coffin top bit and then use screws in lieu of the drilled out rivets.
    Yer Welcome

I'm Adrian.

I should imagine it's glue to hold them in place as they're quite heavy and can strain solder joints - I've seen it used on inductors and large capacitors. Nowt out of the ordinary and not indicative of a 'botch job'.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Paul.

Danilo, thanks for the info on the nutserts. I'll pick some up for the next time they're opened but to be honest they can stay like that as they're securely mounted to the front panel with washers protecting what's left of the plates.

Thanks Adrian. I do believe that you've nailed it.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I should imagine it's glue to hold them in place as they're quite heavy and can strain solder joints - I've seen it used on inductors and large capacitors. Nowt out of the ordinary and not indicative of a 'botch job'.
    +1 Crossovers are often built at the factory by holding all components down to a piece of wood using hot melt glue or silicone...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

danilo Guest

Sorry.. Not even close rationalisations.
    The LSU Hf crossovers are Very well made OEM . Being prior to the Harmon International 'takeover'.
    They were well assembled solid units.. by any yardstick.
    Far better than subsequent HPD ones for example

OEM these have a U shaped Ali bracket that goes under the PCB around the Coil lams (white taped bits) and has threaded ears that press against /fit the Coffin lid.
    Where two screws fit, tightening the; clamp, transformer/coil and PCB Solidly together. It ain't moving.

Some bungler has removed the Ali hold down entirely.
    Gawd Only.. knows why?
    Even IF the goofy assortment of caps precluded the Coffin lid from Fitted adequately.
    A simple additional bit of ali plate across the tops of the coil laminations would restore the structural integrity of the Factory Hold down design.. Quite neatly actually.
    Easier to do IMO than Slopping Goop unbelievably messily everywhere. Even onto on the windings fer Gawd's sake ??

Other small trivia: Sily Cone is (Usually) corrosive.
    Fair chance that the Goop (if it is Silicone) is eating away at the slopped on Coil windings .. as we type.

IF silicone? best remove it... Sooner rather than later. OEM Coils can be 'difficult' to find

Frankly not massively concerned..Mostly because they Ain't Mine
    Does seem a shame though.
    Hopefully the above is result of DIY adventures.
    Hey ! we all learn something every time. Mistakes are essential to advancement.

Seriously problematic though... IF one paid $ for this quality of work.
    I'd be looking for my Baseball bat TBH..
    Last edited by danilo; 04-06-2017 at 02:36.

I'm Paul.

Danilo, thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your concerns. For clarity, I already posted that the crossovers were re-capped by Paul Coupe (of RFC).

They are not a "DIY job" nor is Paul a "bungler". He has a stellar reputation on matters Tannoy and I trust him not to have encased the autoformer and base inductor in a corrosive substance. I suspect he has recapped even more Tannoy crossovers than you have made doom-laden posts on AoS.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Sorry.. Not even close rationalisations.
    The LSU Hf crossovers are Very well made OEM . Being prior to the Harmon International 'takeover'.
    They were well assembled solid units.. by any yardstick.
    Far better than subsequent HPD ones for example

OEM these have a U shaped Ali bracket that goes under the PCB around the Coil lams (white taped bits) and has threaded ears that press against /fit the Coffin lid.
    Where two screws fit, tightening the; clamp, transformer/coil and PCB Solidly together. It ain't moving.

Some bungler has removed the Ali hold down entirely.
    Gawd Only.. knows why?
    Even IF the goofy assortment of caps precluded the Coffin lid from Fitted adequately.
    A simple additional bit of ali plate across the tops of the coil laminations would restore the structural integrity of the Factory Hold down design.. Quite neatly actually.
    Easier to do IMO than Slopping Goop unbelievably messily everywhere. Even onto on the windings fer Gawd's sake ??

Other small trivia: Sily Cone is (Usually) corrosive.
    Fair chance that the Goop (if it is Silicone) is eating away at the slopped on Coil windings .. as we type.

IF silicone? best remove it... Sooner rather than later. OEM Coils can be 'difficult' to find

Frankly not massively concerned..Mostly because they Ain't Mine
    Does seem a shame though.
    Hopefully the above is result of DIY adventures.
    Hey ! we all learn something every time. Mistakes are essential to advancement.

Seriously problematic though... IF one paid $ for this quality of work.
    I'd be looking for my Baseball bat TBH..
    I strongly disagree with every word above.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Thanks Jez.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    I suspect he has recapped even more Tannoy crossovers than you have made doom-laden posts on AoS.
    +2

I've seen plenty of crossovers in my day and those look perfectly fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast