+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Back in Time

I'm Paul.

Default Going Back in Time

2014 has seen big changes to my system. At the start of the year my system was AN Dac One.1x sig, AN M-One, Croft Twinstar 1 and Proac Response 2S.

Since then I've gone back in time to the 70's. Only the AN dac has survived the cull. I know I'm tempting fate but I think I have stumbled onto a system that I can live with for a long time. Just as well because I'm skint! The speakers and amp have been fully recapped and the Sony has had a wee service too. Now all my spare cash is going on vinyl.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What are the speakers, Paul? They look like some type of Celestions

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

"Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

I'm Paul.

Hi Marco, they're IMF TLS50s. Here's one with the grill off. BTW My current line up is detailed in my sig!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What are the speakers, Paul? They look like some type of Celestions

Marco.

Celestion-ish dude but not quite their IMF TLS50 .
    Main System: Yamaha CR-820 Receiver & Musical Fidelity E50 Tuner & Pioneer PD S505 Precision CD Player & Mission 770 Freedom Speakers + Linn Interconnects & Van Den Hul The Wind hybrid Speaker Cable
    Vinyl -
    Rega Planer 2 with Rega Britain Green 250 Tonearm & Upgraded Van Den Hul Oil Bearing & Ortofon Super OM-10.

Second System:
    Technics - SU-C909U Pre-Amplifier & SE-A909S Power Amplifier & Technics ST-GT 1000 Tuner & Marantz CD67 Original SE CD player & Thorens TD-125 MK1 Turntable & SME 3009 Series 1 & Shure V15 Type II Cartridge & SME 2000 Plinth & Celestion A compact Speakers

I'm Andr'e.

You just need to scrap the Hifi rack & put your clobber on a sideboard in true vintage style

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    You just need to scrap the Hifi rack & put your clobber on a sideboard in true vintage style

You're quite right. I would if I had a bigger room. My mum has one that would be perfect - just need to wait for her to die then I will have the room and the sideboard

I'm Andr'e.

You can get shorter ones. I have an original G-Plan it's around 6ft long

Decor & Hifi have got more 60's since this pic was taken

I'm Shaun.

By Christ, they sure knew how to make stylish amplifiers back then !
    Marantz CD6005 into Audiolab MDAC
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace turntable with Origin Live Onyx tonearm/Denon DL103/Dynavector P75 MkIII phono stage

Prima Luna Prologue preamp
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp/EL34

B&W CM8 S2 loudspeakers

Atlas Hyper interconnects
    Van Den Hul Teatrack biwired cables

Mainly electronica and modern jazz/funk

I'm Geoff.

I like the TLS50s. Good grunty speakers. Bet they shake the floor.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    By Christ, they sure knew how to make stylish amplifiers back then !
    The Kenny is my pride and joy. It just sounds fantastic and its phono stage is sublime. The Kenwood/Trio Supremes are pretty rare in the UK but well worth snapping up if you happen to see one.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I like the TLS50s. Good grunty speakers. Bet they shake the floor.
    TBH, the IMFs were a big surprise. I didn't expect much when I brought them home but they have really exceeded my expectations. Surprisingly they work well in a small room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast