+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Going Back in Time

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Sorry.. Not even close rationalisations.
    The LSU Hf crossovers are Very well made OEM . Being prior to the Harmon International 'takeover'.
    They were well assembled solid units.. by any yardstick.
    Far better than subsequent HPD ones for example

OEM these have a U shaped Ali bracket that goes under the PCB around the Coil lams (white taped bits) and has threaded ears that press against /fit the Coffin lid.
    Where two screws fit, tightening the; clamp, transformer/coil and PCB Solidly together. It ain't moving.

Some bungler has removed the Ali hold down entirely.
    Gawd Only.. knows why?
    Even IF the goofy assortment of caps precluded the Coffin lid from Fitted adequately.
    A simple additional bit of ali plate across the tops of the coil laminations would restore the structural integrity of the Factory Hold down design.. Quite neatly actually.
    Easier to do IMO than Slopping Goop unbelievably messily everywhere. Even onto on the windings fer Gawd's sake ??

Other small trivia: Sily Cone is (Usually) corrosive.
    Fair chance that the Goop (if it is Silicone) is eating away at the slopped on Coil windings .. as we type.

IF silicone? best remove it... Sooner rather than later. OEM Coils can be 'difficult' to find

Frankly not massively concerned..Mostly because they Ain't Mine
    Does seem a shame though.
    Hopefully the above is result of DIY adventures.
    Hey ! we all learn something every time. Mistakes are essential to advancement.

Seriously problematic though... IF one paid $ for this quality of work.
    I'd be looking for my Baseball bat TBH..

Sometimes, you really talk crap, Danny boy

S.

I'm Paul.

Wow, that Kenwood sure brings back memories. I don't remember the model # of mine, but I bought new a similar amp when I turned 15 years age. I had money from working on commercial fishing boats over the school summer break, and spent it all on my first real system. The Kenwood sounded fantastic, would love to find a refurbished one for my second system. It had 40 watts per channel, I think it was the KA-3500. I bought Sansui and Yamaha after that, but neither gave me the sheer grunt and rock n roll sound I preferred.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Sorry.. Not even close rationalisations.
    The LSU Hf crossovers are Very well made OEM . Being prior to the Harmon International 'takeover'.
    They were well assembled solid units.. by any yardstick.
    Far better than subsequent HPD ones for example

OEM these have a U shaped Ali bracket that goes under the PCB around the Coil lams (white taped bits) and has threaded ears that press against /fit the Coffin lid.
    Where two screws fit, tightening the; clamp, transformer/coil and PCB Solidly together. It ain't moving.

Some bungler has removed the Ali hold down entirely.
    Gawd Only.. knows why?
    Even IF the goofy assortment of caps precluded the Coffin lid from Fitted adequately.
    A simple additional bit of ali plate across the tops of the coil laminations would restore the structural integrity of the Factory Hold down design.. Quite neatly actually.
    Easier to do IMO than Slopping Goop unbelievably messily everywhere. Even onto on the windings fer Gawd's sake ??

Other small trivia: Sily Cone is (Usually) corrosive.
    Fair chance that the Goop (if it is Silicone) is eating away at the slopped on Coil windings .. as we type.

IF silicone? best remove it... Sooner rather than later. OEM Coils can be 'difficult' to find

Frankly not massively concerned..Mostly because they Ain't Mine
    Does seem a shame though.
    Hopefully the above is result of DIY adventures.
    Hey ! we all learn something every time. Mistakes are essential to advancement.

Seriously problematic though... IF one paid $ for this quality of work.
    I'd be looking for my Baseball bat TBH..
    Please remember in future that this is someone's Gallery thread, where members show off their 'prides of joy', and therefore not really the place to lambast the kit folk use, in such an insensitive way.

You have a bad habit of doing this type of thing, so please stop it and learn to show some consideration for others, or next time it happens you'll be out for a week.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

That looks like the one we had when i was a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    You're quite right. I would if I had a bigger room. My mum has one that would be perfect - just need to wait for her to die then I will have the room and the sideboard

I'm Andrew.

Gorgeous kit in a lovely setup Paul. Thank you for sharing.

I'm Paul.

Cheers Andrew. I'm very pleased with it.

I'm Nial.

Thanks to a very kind AoS member, I've been lucky enough to acquire a pair of Lockwood Majors with MG15s. They have their original crossovers which have just been recapped by Paul Coupe. Bigly fugly but sounding lovely.

OMG aren't they gorgeous!

I'm John.

Thanks to a very kind AoS member, I've been lucky enough to acquire a pair of Lockwood Majors with MG15s. They have their original crossovers which have just been recapped by Paul Coupe. Bigly fugly but sounding lovely.

Lovely looking room and system Paul. Those big Lockwoods don't come up for sale every day. You done well there

FWIW I think Paul Coupe a top notch bloke

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Lovely looking room and system Paul. Those big Lockwoods don't come up for sale every day. You done well there

FWIW I think Paul Coupe a top notch bloke
    Wow. You are making me want to buy a nice sideboard. Lovely kit.

I'm Steve.

The Yamahas have been relegated to the cupboard and the Trio head amp has now been hooked up between the Kenwood KD-990 deck and Model 500 amp. It sounds superb.

Gorgeous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast