+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VU Meters

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    Could you explain to this newbie exactly which part of an amplifier circuit VU meters are connected to? Also what model are those particular meters in the first post?
    Big meters may look 'cool', but I'd like to know what benefits to the sound they offer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ah c'mon, VU meters are cool!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

That's all that matters.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Duncan.

You can't hear any benefits , but hey if you can fit them why not!

Meters are for information only and look very cool. Even the wife likes them, it's not alive without them.

I find them helpful, when calibrated correctly, to show the level of the recording.
    What with a loudness war happening.

I have them showing the output from my Dac before the stepped attenuators.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2xPanel-VU...item234142f740

Happy days

Duncan
    Last edited by tubehunter; 15-11-2014 at 15:45.

I'm Steve.

VU meters still make little boys hearts melt.

I'm Andr'e.

I have an amp with loverly blue VU's, as a generally play music at low level, the Power VU's hardly budge. hence a total waste of time.

I'm Geoff.

They're a waste of time anyway. No mechanical meters react quickly enough to show what is really going on. At best you may get an 'average' picture. Just something else to go wrong.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

VU or power meters are essential in any system (the more the better!) and anyone who says otherwise is simply in denial. I've just bought this so I have not two, but FOUR on my rack now!

Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    VU or power meters are essential in any system (the more the better!) and anyone who says otherwise is simply in denial. I've just bought this so I have not two, but FOUR on my rack now!
    There must be a name for this condition Adam. I'm not sure there's a cure though.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There must be a name for this condition Adam.
    My wife has a few names for it; all of them rude...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast