+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Film Bits.

I'm Stephen.

Default Best Film Bits.

Bad Day At Black Rock:

Spencer Tracy knocking the shit out of Ernest Borgnine - with one hand.

Love it.
    Last edited by Mr Kipling; 23-10-2014 at 21:13.

I'm Grant.

Great film and performance from Tracy, and won an Academy Award. Before shooting began, Tracy tried to back out of the picture because of his growing alcoholism and he refused to commit to doing the picture. In order to close the deal, an MGM executive contacted Tracy shortly before filming was to begin and said, "Don't worry, Mr. Tracy, a copy of the script has been sent to Alan Ladd and he has agreed to do the picture." The next day, Tracy committed to the film. Ladd, however, apparently never even saw the script.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

That was a cracking film. Tracy on top form. Some other great actors in it too.

(nothing to do with it, but who remembers the American actor William Bendix. I thought he was great)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Yeah, I remember him. Was always a tough New Yorker. think he was in 12 angry men.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

Must have been 1 of his last films but I love it's a mad mad mad mad world .Tracy played the detective.great cast.

I'm Stephen.

It wouldn't have been the same with Alan Ladd. Spencer Tracy's physical presence added something to the film that would have been missing with Ladd.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That was a cracking film. Tracy on top form. Some other great actors in it too.

(nothing to do with it, but who remembers the American actor William Bendix. I thought he was great)
    He was also in Lifeboat; a film I recently reviewed and one of my favourite wartime films Guadalcanal Diary
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    It wouldn't have been the same with Alan Ladd. Spencer Tracy's physical presence added something to the film that would have been missing with Ladd.
    Your rigt, Ladd was 5 foot nothing and slim. Tracy had presence and toughness that was needed for the role to work.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andy.

The Billy Batts scene in Goodfellas.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    The Billy Batts scene in Goodfellas.
    'I didn't want to get blood on the carpet'

always cracks me up, that.

I like the final scene of Once Upon a Time In America where De Niro has a go on the opium pipe and then settles down with a big grin on his face, possibly about to dream all of the events that happen in the bits of the film that are set in 1968.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast