+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine wine clubs and online sellers

I'm Josie.

Default Fine wine clubs and online sellers

Helloo all... buuurp! ...oops, scooseme..

Isz anyooone-ere a membrer of ones ofthem flinewine cubsh? Like, you knooow... one-o-dem pizzas tha shell wine... Burrp! ...oops, scooseme..

Ggoodorbad?... good? Burrp! ...oops, scooseme..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Barry’s a big Laithwaites fan/user, Joe, so he’ll be able to chat to you about that

Although I’m a massive fan of fine wines, and know a bit about wine, I’m not a fan of wine clubs, as purchases have to be in cases (generally of the same wine), and I prefer having a variety, by hand-selecting the wine I buy in individual bottles from quality wine merchants (and occasionally supermarkets).

It’s rather like buying records… Amazon versus independent record shops - for me there’s no contest!

I also dislike wine clubs, once you've signed up, constantly pestering you to buy something, and sending you all manner of ‘bumph’ and promotional leaflets through the post

Tanners, in Shrewsbury, is one of our favourite wine merchants, as they have an amazing selection of truly fabulous wine. 'Corks Out’, in Chester, is another of our favs: http://www.corksout.com/chester Both of them offer a mail order service.

However, driving to France and buying wine either directly from vineyards, independent wine retailers and/or supermarkets, is our favourite way of doing it - and you can obtain some SERIOUS bargains that way! We’ll be doing precisely that very soon. This is our favourite haunt in Calais: http://www.intercaves.fr/decouvrez-l...aves-2428.html

It’s where the French people there go to buy quality wine (although at very attractive prices), rather than British tourists looking for 5 litres of ‘plonk’ for £3!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steven.

My wife's family is Belgian and my father-in-law, like most like-minded individuals, has been a member of a wine club for decades. The idea is to buy and keep in the cellar, as most people have cellars, or access to one. Is the only sensible way of having ready access to fine wines at the right age at sensible prices (e.g. 8 to 15 years for Bordeaux, etc.).

I have a mate who imports directly from select producers in France and sells to a private client base. That's an option.

These days, I tend to buy new world mines at Majestic - much better value for money and very palatable.

Of course the best option is to go to France and Italy and carry out extensive testing, then fill up the boot.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Josie.

Nice one, Marco.

Always good to know where to go. To be honest I don't have time to get anywhere but supermarkets. Saying that, I do find that Waitrose is the best place. The stuff they have in the coop for example is like power steering fluid.

We also always go for the organic range too. This is of choice due to bad tummy aches after drinking the shite with 'added' shelf life ingredients I think... The organic certainly makes me a happy bunny in the morning put it that way and the taste is so smooth.

I'm after some bargains for sure If you have any recommendations please let me know. Right now we pay around £10 for a bottle of organic wine (red only with us).

Yep, wine clubs do put me off but I didn't know they were still as vigorous on the marketing/pestering front. Sounds like they are.

Cheese
    Joe

Hi Steven,

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    My wife's family is Belgian and my father-in-law, like most like-minded individuals, has been a member of a wine club for decades. The idea is to buy and keep in the cellar, as most people have cellars, or access to one. Is the only sensible way of having ready access to fine wines at the right age at sensible prices (e.g. 8 to 15 years for Bordeaux, etc.).
    You’re absolutely right. Trouble is, I simply don’t have the willpower or patience to keep it for that long!

2-3 years is about my limit (for quality Bordeaux, and such like) before curiosity gets the better of me, and it’s opened (and carefully decanted) on special occasions, such as at Christmas or a special birthday celebration, and enjoyed with appropriate food to match

I have a mate who imports directly from select producers in France and sells to a private client base.
    I like the idea, and have employed the use of that method before, but dislike the (often) elitist/snooty nature of the process. I’m not a massive fan of New World wines. I much prefer French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and even Greek wines. One of my favourites is Chateau Musar, from Lebanon.

Of course the best option is to go to France and Italy and carry out extensive testing, then fill up the boot.
    Defo - especially when you can tie it in with a nice holiday, too!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Nice one, Marco.

Always good to know where to go. To be honest I don't have time to get anywhere but supermarkets. Saying that, I do find that Waitrose is the best place. The stuff they have in the coop for example is like power steering fluid.

We also always go for the organic range too. This is of choice due to bad tummy aches after drinking the shite with 'added' shelf life ingredients I think... The organic certainly makes me a happy bunny in the morning put it that way and the taste is so smooth.

I'm after some bargains for sure If you have any recommendations please let me know. Right now we pay around £10 for a bottle of organic wine (red only with us).

Yep, wine clubs do put me off but I didn't know they were still as vigorous on the marketing/pestering front. Sounds like they are.
    Joe, others will be able to comment with more authority than I about the latter, but when I used to be a member of Laithwaites and The Sunday Times Wine club, back in the early 2000s, the promoting was relentless and extremely off-putting. However, things may have changed.

I didn’t know you enjoyed a nice bottle of red… When you visit, I’ll let you sample some interesting stuff you may not have tasted before

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Josie.

Thanks, Steven...

Sure, Marco... that sounds like a good idea. Yeah, we love red wine. It's the only thing I can drink these days.

I'm Grant.

Alas it doesn't mix well with Whisky, so I don't drink much it now except the odd glass at a special dinner, and the occasional wine night. I like wine but it can be acidy for my delicate stomach Still have some nice stuff in the cupboard that's been there too long tbh and needs drunk....ALDI often do top wines and I've had a few really nice ones. Italian fruity white is my favourite or a nice Burgundy. I also like a lot of the Aussie stuff and Californian too...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

I can also recommend Tanners (http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk). I was a member of a well-known wine club for many years but got fed up with the marketing and the increasing variability of what was supplied. Tanners is a family-run firm that is reasonably local to me. They have many of the advantages of a wine club: pre-prepared cases, home delivery and good pricing but without the disadvantages imho. They do send out a regular leaflets but they have never bugged me! Tanners also have an "En Primeur" service if you want to get into some cellar planning!
    Office: RPi>Temple Audio Monoblocks>ESL-63's
    Other systems
    Sources: Squeezeserver on RPi, Squeezeboxes x 8 (+ Radios x2 + Boombox + RPi x2), Micromega CD, Arcam DVD, Rega P3
    Amps/Processors: Audiolab, Arcam, Marantz, Yamaha, Cambridge, Bushmaster 2, Caiman2, Tisbury Pre
    Speakers: Acoustic Energy, Castle, Mordaunt Short, Tannoy, KEF, Quad, BK Monolith

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Thanks, Steven...

Sure, Marco... that sounds like a good idea. Yeah, we love red wine. It's the only thing I can drink these days.
    My wine dealer mate is a Scottish alcoholic who drives round in a 20 year old battered Volvo because I think he drinks his profits.

Had plenty of liquid holidays in France and Italy. Notable trips include Corsica and Portugal, the latter at a hotel with a magnificent cellar. They keep all their good stuff for themselves and don't export it, hence its lousy reputation over here.

Best trip has to be in Piedmonte (Mombaruzzo - near Asti, Barbaresco, Barolo, etc. Every vineyard has multiple varieties and a Michelin restaurant, so they'll serve you 4 or 5 different wines and a slap-up meal for a very reasonable price. Much quieter than Tuscany, Dordogne etc.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast