+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New Films you want to See at the CINEMA....

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think they're definitely designed for sharing, such is the way Chinese people eat . .
    That's something I must admit I never got used to, especially when you ordered something nice and got one mouthful before it was gone and then when you look around the table, you don't fancy what others have ordered!

I remember being in a really fancy restaurant in Hong Kong once and a Scottish lady who works out there ordered an amazing looking lamb dish. My old boss clearly thought it looked good too, so leaned over with his fork to which the girl hunched over, wrapped her arms around it saying "uhuh, this is mine" in a Gollum like tone. You should have seen the look on his face, funny as - he's definitely gone feral
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    That's something I must admit I never got used to, especially when you ordered something nice and got one mouthful before it was gone and then when you look around the table, you don't fancy what others have ordered!

I remember being in a really fancy restaurant in Hong Kong once and a Scottish lady who works out there ordered an amazing looking lamb dish. My old boss clearly thought it looked good too, so leaned over with his fork to which the girl hunched over, wrapped her arms around it saying "uhuh, this is mine" in a Gollum like tone. You should have seen the look on his face, funny as - he's definitely gone ferrel
    lol.. reminds me of a guy i worked with. he used to get a big chinese home from pub and if anyone went close to him, he would growl like a feral dog and wrap an arm around the food. he was pretty feral sober mind, and was positively dangerous drunk
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Lol - I know exactly what you mean, but I rather like it, as I can eat just about anything, and with so much choice on a table with a large number of people eating at it, there's always something else just as nice (or different) to enjoy...

Different though, if you're only in two, and one of you is veggie, so I had to try and eat all of mine myself [the rather interestingly named 'sliced beef in hot and numbing sauce'], which was an impossibility, as it came in a bowl big enough to feed three people!

However, I will enjoy the rest of it today

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, Ben. It'll be interesting to see what you think of the film.

It's some size that Odeon complex in Liverpool ONE - about ten times that of the one in Wrexham! Feels rather cosmopolitan too, around there, with all the nice bars and restaurants. Cool vibe... Not been in Liverpool at night for years! It's very much like Glasgow is now

Mr Chilli was fab. Great food (nice and spicy, as I like it), pleasant staff, and full of Chinese people! We were the only 'Brits' in there, which is exactly how we like it.

The only thing was on the traditional Szechuan menu, aside from soups, there were only cold starters, which was a bit strange for us (no dim sum, like there is at Mei Mei - maybe dim sum isn't a Szechuan thing?) although the starters are very good, as were the mains, but the portions were HUGE!

I think they're definitely designed for sharing, such is the way Chinese people eat, which was tricky as my wife is veggie (she loved her stir-fried broccoli in garlic sauce)... So we had to take half it home in a 'doggy bag'. No bad thing though, as we can enjoy it again today for lunch!

We'll certainly go back again, particularly as they're open during the day, which is when we usually go shopping in Liverpool, and would defo recommend it to friends.

Marco.
    I'm glad you enjoyed Mr Chilli Marco, I've always found the food to be great and as you say with a good kick of chili in some of the dishes. As its generally just the 2 of us when we go we purposely order too much, take home a doggie bag and enjoy it for lunch the next day.

Liverpool really has changed a great deal in the 15 years I've lived here. When I first arrived here I was blown away by the friendliness of the people, the club scene was amazing for nights out and there were nice places to eat. Now im older and less bothered about banging clubs I find the city still caters for my every need. Very good independent and chain restaurants are everywhere, fact cinema (and odeon) shows almost everything I want to see and there are record shops dotted all over the place too. Liverpool 1 is very good for shopping too.

I know its not perfect but it does a lot that I like in a small convenient package.

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Tickets just booked for YWNRH tonight at 6.

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed Mr Chilli Marco, I've always found the food to be great and as you say with a good kick of chili in some of the dishes. As its generally just the 2 of us when we go we purposely order too much, take home a doggie bag and enjoy it for lunch the next day.
    Yeah, we tend to do that, too. The prices are also excellent, given the quality and quantity of the food, working out around half of what you'd pay in 'posh' Westernised Chinese restaurants for uninspiring bog-standard pap - and the vibe and friendliness of the staff is great, which for me is very important when eating out anywhere. We'll defo be back!

Liverpool really has changed a great deal in the 15 years I've lived here. When I first arrived here I was blown away by the friendliness of the people, the club scene was amazing for nights out and there were nice places to eat. Now im older and less bothered about banging clubs I find the city still caters for my every need. Very good independent and chain restaurants are everywhere, fact cinema (and odeon) shows almost everything I want to see and there are record shops dotted all over the place too. Liverpool 1 is very good for shopping too.
    +1 (with bells on). I've always loved Liverpool, mainly for the openness and friendliness of the people (in that respect much like Glaswegians), and the city itself, in terms of its facilities, such as you mention, in recent times has just got better and better - even down by the docks now is a happening place to be, and I just love the bohemian feel and cultural diversity of Bold Street.

Liverpool has real SOUL, man! If you haven't been to Glasgow recently, you should defo go sometime, as the similarities are uncanny!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ben.

Can we discuss YWNRT now?

I thought it was pretty good, it possibly tried a bit hard to be a "difficult art house film" when really the story was essentially quite pedestrian. However the central performance by Phoenix and a score / soundscape that in places was superb at ratcheting up the pressure meant it was gripping and edge of the seat type stuff.

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Can we discuss YWNRT now?

I thought it was pretty good, it possibly tried a bit hard to be a "difficult art house film" when really the story was essentially quite pedestrian. However the central performance by Phoenix and a score / soundscape that in places was superb at ratcheting up the pressure meant it was gripping and edge of the seat type stuff.
    Spot on, Ben!

I concur completely, especially with the bit in bold, which on the first watch spoiled it a bit for me. I'm a K.I.S.S kinda guy, when it comes to films or TV programmes, and don't like it when they're trying to be too abstract/clever, which IMO, YWNRT was to a degree. Also, it's one of those films you need to research the storyline a little in advance, in order to have a clue about what's happening. You can't just arrive and 'get into it', otherwise you'll be sitting there going 'WTF?'

I also found that the violent scenes merely 'suggested' what was happening, and were a little too subtle, rather than showing the brutality more 'up front and close', which I prefer. For example, I'd liked to have seen how the child prostitution gang killed his mother (and others), particularly the guy who hired Phoenix in the first place, to 'go get the baddies', rather than it having already happened by the time you got to see it.

That said, I agree, Joaquin Phoenix played a superb part and portrayed his 'menacing, dark and brooding' role with aplomb, so much so that I'd love to see him play a straightforward gangster/hit man, in a more mainstream type of film, as he's one scary dude! And yes, the accompanying score/music was simply superb and arguably the best bit of all. If it's available to buy separately, then I'll get it!

All in all then, an enjoyable film that ticked a number of the right boxes for me, but also one that I suspect will be even more enjoyable with a second watch, if it becomes available on Sky and/or is released as a Blu-ray, when it's likely I'll 'get' it more, and appreciate some of the plot's subtleties, which washed over me a little first time at the cinema.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Robert.

Daughter going to see Black Panther today with her friend.

Of all the people I've spoken to who've seen it, they all say it is a fab watch.

Proven a massive box office success already.

Will let you know my daughters verdict. Would like to see it myself when I can

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_(film)
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Daughter going to see Black Panther today with her friend.

Of all the people I've spoken to who've seen it, they all say it is a fab watch.

Proven a massive box office success already.

Will let you know my daughters verdict. Would like to see it myself when I can

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_(film)

I didn't like it much.
    I mean, it's a perfectly watchable film, but it all felt too forced and WAY too clichéd for my liking.
    I've spent about two years in southern Africa all told and it just felt a bit contrived.

In many ways, I think it's an important movie but it may be that future generations look back and ask "What was all the fuss about ?" the same way current generations do about, say, Young Frankenstein (really slow going) or - dare I say it - the original Star Wars (again, very slow movie compared to the average action-adventure of today).
    Before you hammer me for the last bit, I watched it for the umpteenth time about three years ago before Ep.7 came out with someone who'd never seen it before.
    He's a 31 year old mate and we saw it in the cinema in a members' screening before the new picture came out and he looked at me after about 40mins and said "Is it gonna get going soon ?"
    I think at that point, Luke was still on his home planet and they'd just gone to the bar in the bazaar ...

Anyway.
    Black Panther : 6/10.
    The only Marvel movies I've enjoyed of late have been Deadpool (7/10) and AntMan, which I thought was absolutely brilliant.

One thing I have just watched last night - at another members' screening, this time a preview - is the new Spielberg, Ready Player One.
    It's a great picture - really fun to watch, with loads of pop culture references across movies, music, video games and TV shows and the kind of film you could watch ten times and see new things you missed and pick up on details you didn't notice the first few times you saw it.
    It's a decent family movie too, as you'd expect from Spielberg, but not schmaltzy at all.
    First rate movie-making.
    Can't wait to see it again
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast